St. Joe 5/18 & 5/20 - South Haven 5/19

05/18/12

Fished out of St. Joe on Friday aboard the Timmer Lou. Had to work at it, but we took a five man limit of a mix of kings and cohos, a couple of lakers and a nice steelhead. Not my boat so I was not always paying attention, but it seemed like everything was working. I believe that 135 -145 was the best depth. All of the usual suspects were taking fish, blue and green dolphin spoons seemed like the most productive with flashers and flys taking a few fish. A brads cut plug took several fish.

05/19/12

Took some folks from work out of South Haven on my boat on Saturday and stunk up the place. Could only squeeze out 2 fish for 4 hits. Enough said.

05/20/12

Said heck with that South Haven nonsense on Sunday and in an attempt to redeem myself, took a co-worker, the spouse of a co-worker and his dad down to St. Joe on Sunday. Hard to believe that 30 miles down the coast makes so much difference, but had a hard time keeping all of the lines in the water. Never got them all down until 9:30. Wound up 15 for 17 by 12:00 when we called it a day. 12 kings a coho and two lakers. As far as I know, we fished northwest of the pier. 135 to 145 feet seemed best in the morning, but we continued to take fish all of the way out to 170 feet later in the morning. I say as best as I know, because “the dad†a gentleman named Ralph, was a seasoned angler and did such a good job driving the boat, I was able to spend the day working the back of the boat. ½ core, full core, 200 ft of copper & 300 ft of copper were by far the best. The down riggers and mag dispey divers only took a few fish. Here are photos of what worked. Tried a brads cut plug for the first time after seeing it work on the Timmer Lou. The craziest thing was the two lake trout we took on the ½ cores with a small carmel dolphin spoon.

img_0293glf.jpg

Nice, job, I like how you displayed everything that worked in that single photo. I'm heading up Friday and Saturday out of SH. There is a lot of South wind coming on Thursday, hopefully there'll be some action.