Black Flies

I have been using a strong bleach and water spray that seems to slow them down. Gonna try that electronic deal that is advertised for hunters. Cant remember what they call it but it has to be better than the dang little critters we had to battle today/.

I have been using a strong bleach and water spray that seems to slow them down. Gonna try that electronic deal that is advertised for hunters. Cant remember what they call it but it has to be better than the dang little critters we had to battle today/.

It's called a "Thermocell," I've heard of a lot of guys using them trout fishing bushy creeks in the summer and they love them. It'd be interesting to see how they would work on the flies

Saturday out of Michigan City.. The flies were so thick you could not stand it.. My thermocell was fired up all day... They were honestly sitting on it.. Sunday I bought two cans of yard type foggers.. I sprayed the canopy, the carpet along the sides.. They were not near as bad.. But dang they ate my cankles up on Saturday.

Mix a spray bottle half and half with listerine and water. Spray it around. Works pretty good and it washes right off your hands, baits, and line if you get it on them.

How long does that last? It sounds better than spraying deet around the lines and lures.

I am prepared now. I have a bottle of original 409, bugs spray, water bottle with half viniger, yard fogger, and a can of hair spray/lighter....Either flies are going to have a massive die off or the combination of all those things is going to cause an explosion on my boat. As long as the flies die who cares....

I am prepared now. I have a bottle of original 409, bugs spray, water bottle with half viniger, yard fogger, and a can of hair spray/lighter....Either flies are going to have a massive die off or the combination of all those things is going to cause an explosion on my boat. As long as the flies die who cares....

LMAO :rofl:

I think the electronic gadget you're referring to is the Thermocell. I have one of these, and they work great as long as there's no wind. The unit heats up an insect repellant soaked pad, and emits "smoke" that keeps the bugs away. You can't really smell it, but it works. Problem is with any breeze it blows the repellant away making it useless.

Avon skin so soft. Smells a little girly but works good. Mosquitos are not fased by it though.

The Skin So Soft stuff does smell a little like a French whore house, but it does work if you get the one with Picardin.

Try mixing a combo. of vinegar and water, 50/50 in a spray bottle, really works, but, must reapply on hot days every 30 minutes or so to be effective. I've heard where little bo peep amonia also can be mixed with h20 with same results, but never tried it yet. Black flag flying insect spray is good to start if heavy with flies before alternatives above are activated. Shoooooooo fly!

• 2 months later...