May 17, 18, 2012 Au Gres

Thursday: Mel, Roger, and I fished Au Gres. We set up in 32 FOW and took a few fish sorting out some future fish. We made a move after some advice from Capt Mike. We set up in 27 FOW just in time to see the bay go flat and the bite slow down. Ya just need that 1 foot chop. We sorted fish and called it a day with 9 in the box. We boated a lot of borderline throwbacks. Most of the fish we kept didn't need measuring.

Friday: Two man limit. Tom aka TallTails, and I fished where we left off Thursday. We quickly boated 5 fish and then a couple of more. Out of the first 7 fish we only had 1 throw back. We worked a bit for our limit with a lot of throwbacks to get the final 3 keepers. 27 FOW bouncers on the bottom @ 0.8 - 1.2 MPH. Water temps were 58F and the fish are biting real light. At these slow speeds you have to be on your game. Fish can go unnoticed and don't hook up well at the super slow speeds. Even bigger fish will swim with it. Best colors both days were red and chrome, Purple, and a glow chartreuse.

au_gres_may_182012.jpg

Nice fish frank you ever think about switching sides once and awhile i could show you a few of my honey holes on the east side for when the west slows down. I love fishing the shallow water for eyes especially this time of year.

Nice fish frank you ever think about switching sides once and awhile i could show you a few of my honey holes on the east side for when the west slows down. I love fishing the shallow water for eyes especially this time of year.

Thanks Luke. I do fish the other side sometimes. Au Gres is my closest port. I fished out of every port from Port Austin to Tawas. Maybe we can trade a trip? I do fish skinny water on this side also. With the East wind churning today I may be in tight tomorrow while the water is dirty.:)