Thinking about hitting Port Sanilac Saturday

I was going to hit the Saginaw Bay Saturday but I really want to try my luck on the big pond. Just got boat rigged and want to try everything out. I have never fished salmon/trout from my own boat so I need to get learning. I will be running 2 riggers and 2 dipsy divers until I get that under control. So instead of sag bay I am going to head over to Port Sanilac Saturday morning. Any tips you are willing to give me will be appreciated and guarded with my life. Are there any tournaments going on right now there? I don't want to mess with all the ramp traffic if there is.

I will save my saginaw bay trip for Sunday.

Thanks

Congrats on being a captain. Now first off the bay has been hot so if you like walleye you might want to reconsider. their is nothing better than a 2 day limit of eyes. As for Port Sanilac if you want to catch salmon you should probably be setting lines at 6:00 AM or earlier. Over the years I have ran a combo ob spoons and body baits on boards. I am partial to silver streaks, Monkey Puke, Kovorkian, Michael Jackson, Green Dolphin, and Blueberry Muffin are my favorites. If you want to catch lakers put a mongoose near the bottom. Dipseys i usually run on a 3 setting 125' to 175' back. Try Mag Blueberry Muffin and make sure your drag is set correctly cause they hammer dipseys. Hope this helps, good luck

Thanks for the info Tim. What depth should I be targeting right now and how far out would that be? Maybe I will run a board on each side as well with body baits.

I would rather catch salmon/lakers over walleye anyday! I will get my walleye fix Sunday on the bay. I want to catch some fish that put up a fight.

Truck and boat are loaded to head head to port sanilac in am. Pretty pumped out to start my big water education. Read books, watched videos, looked at thousands of posts on here. Now it is time to put it to use.

Thanks Guys.

I was happy to catch a couple nice lakers. Got any good smoker recipes? Thanks for everything. The first trip was all i thought it would be. It was Nice meeting you. The young fellow you were with looked like he had a great time.