Rookies just want to go fishing

ok guys - don't laugh too hard at this one:

My name is Ron and I along with my daughter and son in law will be traveling from se Iowa to Old Mission, MI to pickup a 2008 C-Dory 22 ft boat. We will pick it up on 5/16. It has 2 Cannon 5HS electric downriggers, 90 hp Honda just serviced, Lowrance HDS5, VHF, the boat seems to be in excellent condition.

So - as we head south along the east shore of Lake Michigan - we want to stop somewhere and fish for a few days. We have no experience with downriggers or Great Lakes fishing. (I fish SW Flordia waters around Pine Island. So I can navigate a boat, check weather, tie knots, etc...)

We would like suggestions of good places that we can get a motel room, leave the boat at the motel dock or close marina, and have access to a good tackle shop. (I do not want to be that guy unloading his boat the first time in the dark am and binding up the ramp for 60 min)

I am bringing 2 rods - no reels, no line, no lures, no downrigger thing-a-ma-jigs - want to purchase everything at local tackle shop - hopefully to get good advise and tactics to possibly catch fish. I am planning to keep it very simple and only fish 2 lines. I don't think we want to try all the advanced techniques you guys talk about here.

I know weather will be a big variable in this - but what do you think? Should we just scurry back to Iowa - or is this woth trying?

Ron

I think it is worth a shot. Some good ports to try would be Frankfort, Manistee, Ludington and Grand Haven. You should be able to find hotels and slips available in any of these areas. In Frankfort the Tackle Box is right across the street from the public launch ramp. They should be willing to set you up. In Ludington Captains Chuck's is right on 10 as you are coming into town. They could also help you. I don't know about Manistee. Fish On Bait and Tackle is right off the highway headed to Grand Haven. I never stay in hotels so I can't help with that. If you've never set a downrigger you might want to have someone teach you how. Good luck and have fun, I'm sure more people will have suggestions for you.

when you pick up the boat have the guy give you the basics on the downriggers if i was south bound back to iowa i would go to a southern port and maybe hook up with a local on here for more tips

Ron,

Riverside Motel and Marina in Manistee is a great choice. It's close to the pierheads, has slips, and isn't priced out of this world. Insta Launch Campground/Marina has a decent tackle shop, too.. I will be in Manistee (barring any future issues) that following weekend and I'd be more than happy to help put you onto some fish. Just give me a shout on 68 or if you'd like, I will PM you my cell number.

Best of luck with the new boat and your adventure!!

I hate to sound discouraging but by the time you buy a couple of reels, line, terminal tackle, (downrigger weights?) and lures you'll probably have $150 into it (at least) and a chance of not catching much. If you can swing it, you'd probably get more bang for the buck if you were to take a charter or two. Watch and learn. You're likely to find that you like salmon fishing and maybe you'll take a few trips a year back to Lake Michigan with your new boat.

That said, there's nothing wrong with trying it on your own. It would help a lot if you could choose a port ahead of time and swap phone numbers with someone from this forum that will be fishing on the same days and could help get you on the fish. I hope to be in South Haven on the 17th & 18th and would be happy to help. However, that wouldn't be my first recommendation for ports to fish. I'd shoot for somewhere between Frankfort and Holland, probably Frankfort or Manistee.

Most importantly, make sure you have the required safety equipment.

Holland has lots of hotels and yacht basin has transient slips for around 35 bucks a night the fishing has been pretty good around here, there is a very good tackle shop south of holland in saugatuck( lakeshore out fitters) that will have every thing you need for tackle, and a west marine in holland for any safety equipment you may nead.If you decide to come down to holland give me a jingle and i can give you a hand , i am prefishing friday am for a tourney so will be out there on that day for sure but i could give you a crash course on the port and on setting up your riggers. Just pm me if you are coming . jimmy vanbrocklin

Are you planning on fishing lake Michigan after you get back home? The reason I ask is you probably would have much better luck taking your daughter on a charter and learning how to catch fish. Being honest you could spend 3 grand on gear in a hurry and still not catch a fish. Plus fishing without some one who knows what they are doing will likely leave you with lots of funny stories but not as much fun. On a charter you will be able to watch how it is done, taken to where fish actually are and see what setups are catching fish. if you have GPS on your phone you will have a track record of the trip and if you want to try it alone with your daughter you can go to the tackle shop and buy a few setups you saw fish caught on and try it yourself. I will be getting my boat out that weekend and will be in Muskegon pretty much the entire weekend. PM me with your number and I will call you back if you want to talk.