5/9/12, Au Gres, Saginaw Bay, Fishing Report

I've been eating Saginaw Bay walleyes for three staight days, but I'm certainly not complaining.:no: We limited out on walleyes again today fishing in 26 to 33 feet of water off Au Gres on Saginaw Bay. It was kind of a crummy day today with a lot more wind than the weatherman predicted along with spitting rain and winds that switched around; not real good fishing conditions. The walleyes have been extremely lethargic and picky and the bite has been tough, but by being very precise with presentations along with employing correct fish fighting techniques, we have been doing pretty good anyway. Most of the fish that hit are just latching onto the lures and swimming with them without pulling much at all. It's been hard to tell when even the big fish have hooked up. Trolling speed has been especially critical with 1.2 to 1.4 mph being the best speed. The bite has been changing a lot too with the fish preferring different colors at different times of the day. Chartreuse/orange spinner/crawler rigs behind bottom bouncers have been the most consistent presentation for us. We have also taken some fish, and bigger ones, on perch pattern Hot N' Tots pulled within a couple feet of the bottom. The fish seem to be scattered in deeper water. Almost all the fish I'm seeing on my sonar are hugging the bottom with very few suspended fish or baitfish being marked yet.

Capt. Mike Veine

Nice job Mike! Is this early for you to be going out of Au Gres?

Eating walleye for 3 days out of the bay....sounds horrible...NOT! :thumb:

I've been going to Au Gres earlier and earlier every year. I may start there in early April next year. Right now on Erie, the white bass as so bad that you have to sort to the point where it's a real pain in the butt. I like it a lot better in Au Gres these days and so does my dog.:lol:

My customers took 20 keeper walleyes today in seven hours of fishing all on meat. Red beads with silver blades was best early, then chartreuse/orange harnesses were best later on. I ran two Hot N' Tot's all day today and not one bite on those. I ran six other rods with crawlers. We took most of our fish off the flat lines (no boards) 80' back at 1.4 mph using 3 ounce bottom bouncers. I'm ate walleyes for the fourth straight day today as I got to reel in a couple fish today too for your truly. It's my birthday tomorrow, so I'm going to take the day off and just fish with my wife at mid day, then I'm going to drink some beers afterwards to celebrate becoming an older man.:grin: I have more charters on the weekend though.

Capt. Mike Veine