Whats a good VHF antenna?

Hi guys i had problems with my radio last year so i put on a new uniden oceanus with dsc hoping that was my problem. i tried to do roll call for the SHFL but noone could hear me i could hear some chatter but not everyone. So im assuming its my antenna so im going to replace it and hope it fixs the problem. I,ll be needing something that will get best range for these tournaments so i wanted some input before i go purchase one. Thanks for the help

From all the earlier post and other research I just bought the Shakespere 5225xt. From my driveway to the south end of the pond, I'm picking up talk on ch.68. Approx. 20mi. north. Also getting 7out of 10 NOAA channels. Rudey

From all the earlier post and other research I just bought the Shakespere 5225xt. From my driveway to the south end of the pond, I'm picking up talk on ch.68. Approx. 20mi. north. Also getting 7out of 10 NOAA channels. Rudey

this is one of the ones i would suggest. and they had it listed on one place on ebay for 80.00 plus shipping. that is the cheapest i have found this one.

i have also heard good things about the digital antennas, you should be able to pick up a pretty good one for not much over a 100.00.

the one i have i think is just awesome. its a shakespear 5399. but they do reccomend using a mast mount with it because it is 9'6" tall. but i just used my standard ss ratchet mount. the only trouble i,ve had with mine, we forgot to lower it and started back to the campgrounds, and hit a overpass. but lucky for me they are in two sections, and i only busted the top section,LOL. then i still used it for a few more days with it busted untill we came home. the i got on the net and found a replacement for 18.00 and change.

sherman

With the post and a little research i purchased the 5225 XT on ebay just now for $119 free shipping i didnt see the one for 80 plus shipping unless shipping came out more than the $119 i just searched lowest price+shipping and the $119 was cheapest thanks for the quick responses as always you guys are great :thumb:

With the post and a little research i purchased the 5225 XT on ebay just now for $119 free shipping i didnt see the one for 80 plus shipping unless shipping came out more than the $119 i just searched lowest price+shipping and the $119 was cheapest thanks for the quick responses as always you guys are great :thumb:

it was a few days ago that i seen the one i told you about. it may have already sold. that was a good price, i hadnt seen it anyplace for that price. thats why i told you about it. thats usely my luck, a day late a dollar short,LOL. but 119.00 still isnt to bad. and you did get a good antenna.

sherman

Now on the back of the radio is a grounding lug, ground it to the water and to the negitive on your battery bank. Also make sure you don't have any metal above the base of the antenna. Running the wire for my spreader lights changed my antenna response. so now I am goin to mount the antenna on the rocket launcher. If all else fails hunt down 1Mainiac he is a ham radio guy and knows how to make radios work he helped me.