Prop shaft seal leak

This will be my first attempt at this. This is on an OMC 4.3L. Question, will it be better to take off the lower unit or is it possible to do it another way (besides taking it to the shop)?

you usually just need to pull the prop shaft carrier

Make sure you pressure check when your done to make sure that is the only leak

4.3L only tells us the engine size, if you need any more help we will need to know what drive you have.

the first thing i would do is buy a repair book for your boat and see if its something you can do yourself. looking at mine for my alpha one you need a special puller and nut wrench. which would also cost ya it may be cheaper to just take it in

i,ve only changed one seal in my life, and that was on an old outboard, and i dont even remember for sure how i got the old seal out. it wa easy to put the new one back in. i just used a block of wood and tapped it in. but on that outdrive and not knowing what your doing, i would just spend the money and have it done.

if your determand to do it yourself. then it really would help to have some kind of instructions. you might try googling changing a prop shaft seal and see what you get. i have got alot of good info from google.

sherman

i googled replace prop seal, and i did get a couple of good videos. so from what i seen, you would be money ahead to just have it done by someone who has the right tools and already knows what there doing. just my opinion.

sherman