The new ride

Well, the shakedown ride in our new to us 34 Sea Ray express from Grand Haven to Manistee went off great Saturday. I have to say I was plesantly surprised at the fuel economy that I had. I'm estimating that I burned about 75-80 gallons, cruising at 25 mph for the run.

I did come up with one issue, that could end up being a costly one I'm afraid. Sunday evening after a short shakedown fishing trip, I discovered about a half cup of tranny fluid in the bilge under the port transmission. I have yet to figure out where it's coming from though, and looks like I'm going to need to have a mechanic look at it.

The boat is 80% rigged.. We were fishing blind due to a transducer issue but did manage to hook up once in two hours, then losing a nice estimated 10 lb king right at the back of the boat. Still need to add more rod holders and get my rocket launcher modified to work on the radar arch. I'll post pics as soon as she's done.

All in all we're VERY happy with the new boat and looking forward to being back on it this coming weekend! If you're in Manistee, give us a shout.. The current name of the boat is Knapptime... (soon to be changed.. LOL)

Thanks Jon!!

I have a 2 week stretch after this upcoming weekend that I wont be able to fish so I'm gonna get it taken care of. I have a great feeling about this season! It's gonna be AWESOME!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I know the previous owner of that boat, he is my matco tools rep. He told me about your trans leak. says he knows what it is and its not a hard fix, The shift shaft seal i think is what he said. Only leaks while running hard. Does not leak when just idleing around. Send me some picks of the boat all rigged out I would like to see it, He's been trying to sell me that boat for years and I kept telling him it's not a fishing boat. Hope this helps

Thanks for the hand and the nice words, Mike!! We'll definitely be in touch! So far we love her! Still a work in progress to get it completely rigged the way I want her, but at least she's fishable now.

That's cool, Jeff! He called me last night and left me a voice mail.. We're playing phone tag. It was funny the way he cringed when we said we were going to be fishing with it. He said he wouldn't even let the wife or kids fish off the back of it. "That's what land is for" LMAO He said that he wanted to get a charter for the wife and kids this year and I told him I'd be more than happy to take them out after I got it all rigged.. We'll see if that happens.. I don't think he can take the blood on the deck!! LMAO

I'm going to try to post a couple pics of her showing somewhat of the way she's rigged so far.. Nothing too special yet.. A pair of Big Jon Tournament series and a pair of Cisco triple holders all in Traxstech track for the quick change... Looking to add a pair of Traxstech trees..

Now for my little dilema.. I have a Cisco 8 rod rocket launcher currently. It won't fit on the radar arch due to the radar. I am considering cutting it in half and mounting half on each side of the radar. Problem is, it's so high I will have to be on my tiptoes (I'm 6' 2") to barely reach the rods..

Should I roll with this or should I find someone to fab me a custom underslung rocket launcher and sell the Cisco??