Looking for some info on the Mi. side of Lake Erie. Planning a trip to that area around second or 3rd week of May. Dates are flexible, since my fishing partner and I are retired. We want to go during the week in order to avoid the weekend crowds. We really need some info on a good place to stay. Some place that is clean & close to restaurants, and is safe & secure for the boat & equipment. Possibly just a short drive to the boat ramp. I have the Hot Spots map & the Lakemaster chip in my Humminbird, but would appreciate any general fishing info. We fish Lake Michigan regularly for salmon and perch. What type of gear do you recommend bringing? What is the area marked Sub Net Stakes? Can you motor over it? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all. Rudey

At dixie hwy there is a kings inn red roof inn and a motel 6 all have areas to park with a boat. Red roof and motels 6 being the easiest in and out with a trailer. Both are safe i have stayed more at red roof so the wife and son can enjoy the pool while i am fishing. Also ther red roof has a continental breakfast microwave and fridge in the room for 5 bucks more the motel 6. Motel 6 is just a hotel room and nothing more for the money. You are just down the road from all the restaurants and about two miles from sterling state park. Sterling also has a fsih cleaning station and power for electric fillet knives. bring a three way block with you as they only have one outlet though. They have a really nice launch there with i think ten spots total for launch and retrieve 5 in and 5 out i believe. They should have the markers out for the channel if they dont stay in the middle as much as possible it gets shallow quick.

Sub net stakes were from the old days of commercial fishing. Stakes are cut off just above bottom and nothing to worry about. Those spots do act as structure and hold perch. Equipment small spoons copper backs are best and big jon mini discs off boards whether big or inline work. if using inlines watch close as silver bass wont pull them back very hard. I use all 12 lb test on my walleye gear.

If you can get your boat down to 1.2 mph crawler harnesses work awesome that time of year. 1 oz inlines #5 or 6 colorados or my new favorite Warrior #5 serrated willowleaf blades have been great the last couple of years. Pink lemonade and "net results" were my go to colors last year.