Roller rods and braid

So i currently have two dipsy roller rods that I will be using this season.

im not sure if I have enough experience or the cojones to run wire.

would there be any downside to running braid through a roller rod?

silly question I know, but id rather make my mistakes with braid spooled on than wire...

I agree with the others. You already have the tools, might as well go wire. The technique is the same as with braid. You let it out slow, keep your drag set so that it just creeps or ticks.

Braid will be ok with roller rods, just be very carefull to make sure that the braid stays on the rollers. If it gets off the rollers, game over, the frames will cut you off quickly.

I agree with the others. You already have the tools, might as well go wire. The technique is the same as with braid. You let it out slow, keep your drag set so that it just creeps or ticks.

Braid will be ok with roller rods, just be very carefull to make sure that the braid stays on the rollers. If it gets off the rollers, game over, the frames will cut you off quickly.

Tony's last point is why I wouldn't use braid no roller rods. The rods are designed for wire which is significantly thicker than braid. Most likely, there is room next to the roller for the braid to get caught and then you will lose your gear.

Wire all the way best thing to come along for Dipsy fishing ever. Its not difficult at all and the increased depth and lack of stretch make it a great way to present the dipsy or other diver. Just be sure not to horse fish on any no stretch line or you will pull out a lot of hooks.

im alittle late getting my 2 cents in here. but if you already have roller rods then it would be a waste to not try it. i,ve never used wire i dont have big enough reels or roller rods. but i fished on a charter over on erie and wire was the only thing he used off his boards. they worked great.

like someone elce said, set the drag loose enough that the line creeps out a click every so often. because wire is like braid, it wont stretch, so you want the drag to give when a big fish hits.

i just dont use my boards often enough to invest in new rigs to run wire or i would be using it. i just run my lite bite slide divers and my riggers to get down to the walleyes.

sherman

O.K. you've all said there are no stupid questions. Try this one on for size. I did some Googling and think I figured out what a roller rod is, but what are the advantages of it? Should I be looking to get some?

Using stainless wire has a few inherant challenges for rods. Stainless wire is abraisive. When you pull a diver with wire, there is a constant sea saw action being applied to the rod. The diver surges from wave action and boat speed changes. This resulting back and forth action of the wire against the guide surface can and does saw low quality guides in half. The first sign is grooves worn in the guide rings. Roller rods allow the line to move back and forth without creating surface friction with the guides. Over time, this surface friction also causes the wire line to curl, kind of the same effect as pulling a ribbon across scissors while wrapping a present. Roller rods dramatically reduce this problem. In recent years there have been guide rings brought out that will handle wire effectively. SIC or silicon carbides handle wire for a while with no issues, but repeated use (like a charter boat) will see them fail eventually. Fuji brought out their SN (Silicon Nitride II) guides about 5 years ago, designed just for wire. They have a hardness that is uneffected by wire. They also are ground so smooth that they have very low surface friction, causing little heat. The tip top guide on any wire rod causes 80% of line fatigue, so a roller tip or twilly tip is almost necessary to keep curly line from becomming a big issue.

A Daiwa 27 will hold a surprising amount of wire. I have one with 20 lb wire and it works great.

i have the sg17,s and the adp17lc,s and im sure you would want some type mono backing to make sure the wire didnt slip on the spool. i already had that problem with running braid. so how much wire do you think these little reels would hold??

sherman