Who needs a fishing license?

OldCool

My oldest son is 26 and not interested much in fishing (where did I go wrong), although he is willing to go out with his dad and steer the boat. If he is one of a total of four in the boat, and I only have eight rods in the boat, everybody else either has a license or is under seventeen years old, would he need license too?

The way I understand it, he could be issued a citation if he is driving the boat, as he is participating in the actions that catch a fish. Do I agree? Not necessarily. The way I look at it, is it is only a few bucks, and if it helps get your son on the boat with you it is worth every penny. One of these days he will see everyone having fun out there and want to reel one of his own in. This way, he would be legal.

There was 4 of us on my boat fishing out of Muskegon a few years ago and we only had 6 lines in the water. A dnr boat pulled up beside us and said he only needed to see 2 licenses. We showed him all 4, but he said since we only had 6 lines in the water he only needed to see 2.

Not sure if that is normally how it works or if it was just this particular dnr officer.

I had the same situation on saginaw bay. We had 4 people but only 9 rods. we told officer that 1 person did not have a license. It was Ok. He said that driving the boat does not constitute fishing as long as he does not touch a rod or NET.

I spoke with a DNR Officer regarding this issue and was told that driving the boat would not constitute fishing, even if trolling. What they look for is anyone handling a rod/reel, assisting with said rod/reel, or in some other way attempting to, or landing a fish, or assisting in attempting to, or landing a fish. If you are doing any of those things you would need a license.

The definition for fishing is in section 324.43503 of the NATURAL RESOURCES AND ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION ACT (EXCERPT) Act 451 of 1994, and reads as follows;

“Fishing means the pursuing, capturing, catching, killing, or taking of fish, and includes attempting to pursue, capture, catch, kill, or take fish."

So, according to my DNR friend, driving the boat would not fall into any of those categories. IMO driving a boat may be considered "pursuing", the DNR does not read it that way.

I asked if it was thought that way across the board, and was told that is looked at as the norm.

Just bear in mind this is from but one DNR Officer, but is seems to be very good, solid information.

But, I also agree that purchasing a license is the best method. You are also giving a little back.

Hope this helps in some way.

Chris

i know in indiana it is against the law to assist any person to catch a fish and driving the boat while trolling would be against the written law. now do they inforce the letter of the law, that i dont know. but it sounds like its ok there. but for no more than a license cost, why take the chance. and besides if he has his license he might just get caught up in the moment and reel one in and get hooked,LOL.

sherman