Landing net question

sslopok

I need a net for salmon/trout fishing. Being a newbie, I have no idea what size hoop the net should have. I know I need I long handle but that's about it. Saw a beckman that looked tough as heck. Had a really deep net and a stout aluminum handle.

Thanks,

Brandon

Do a search for Ranger fish nets. I have two of them and like them. Recently contacted them to replace a hoop which got broken and was very pleased with their quick response. They do not deal direct but their site can give you all their products and where to get them.

Jim

I know there are some really good nets out there but I personally think the cummings nets are the best bang for your buck. Their shop is in Flint, been around for decades, and if you go there, you can customize just about anything you can imagine. I got a custom boat net with an octagon telescopic handle, big hoop, and in scooper style for around 80 bucks. Definitely worth a look. Good luck.

My comment is to be aware of the weight. I bought a large Ranger steel net several years ago. My crew is usually my wife (when I'm not alone). She couldn't handle that weight in a moving boat with a fish in the net. It nearly dragged her overboard. I certainly couldn't handle it single handed. I went back to the Aluminum Fabril that I've had for many, many years. I think the Cummings is very similar. Of course if Bubba is always on board to net your fish, then that probably doesn't matter.

Where is the cumings shop in Flint? I only live 20 minutes from Flint. Took a look at some cumings nets at hicks bait and tackle in clio. Most of the nets were geared towards walleye though. The one I did like only had a 3 foot handle. Would like to have one with alteast a 6 ft.

Thanks Guys

Personally I prefer a net that knocks the fish off on the first swipe... None of that swinging and bashing at the fish 6, 8, 10 times for me !:lol:

Seriously... an extendable handle is a must for me. I like to be able to reach out there. Helps if you have a youngster on the reel or a long dipsey rig.

I second the coated net and the lightweight frame. (Tony, James) :thumb: Just dont try and pick up net and fish horizontally. bend there and prefer to not do that again.

Bass pro in auburn hills has the ranger salmon nets with the octagon telescoping handle for 75 or 80 bucks. they had about a dozen when i was there a couple weeks ago. I have three now winning one in a raffle. I like two nets in the boat just incase someone looses one. something breaks or a hook and fish get intangled and you need the second for another fish.