Sea Trial

Ok fellas...

Doing the sea trial on the "hopefully" new ride this afternoon.. What should I look for other than the obvious things? Obviously mechanical, trim tab operation, shift smooth, steering smooth, etc..

Check all water pumps, AC/heat, head, all gauges and electronics..

What am I missing? (It surveyed out good)

This is on a Sea Ray 340 Express... Never owned straight inboards before...

Thanks for the help

If it surveyed well then you're probably covered for most of the things that are obvious. Personally I'd take it through it's paces on plane and see if it handles like you want. Also troll it way down and see how it sounds at its slowest speed possible.

Make sure the drain plug is in! Ha, just kidding. Just the usual safety stuff like radio check, bilge pumps, and of course water in the bilge area. Also need to get your landing net wet on a fish, and check all rod holders and down riggers while out there!!!

I don't mean to be funny, but when I launched mine first time it leaked like a sieve. Luckily I'd checked the bilge pump (which incidentally had a wire pulled off). And the big motor quit, the kicker module went out so I had no back up. Drifted in shallow,and had to drop anchor so as not to run aground. Wind was blowing me around in shallow water and when I finally got the big motor going, in the meltdown I'd put the big motor in gear and caught the anchor rope in the prop and wound that up until the prop caught it and tore that up. Was able to limp back to the launch and load up. Luckily I didn't have a sledge hammer or stick of dynamite with me or the repairs might have gone a little differently.

Good luck to you on your shake down!!!!

Wow Ron!! Crazy!

I sure hope the plug is in! The marina dropped it in the water Friday... LOL

This isn't currently rigged for fishing. Was a family cruiser. But I was thinking, I cut the check this afternoon, about a 1/2 hour mounting Traxstech track, and I could at least be running dipseys and in line boards out of my triple rodholders... Evening bite?? LOL

Mike.. I totally intend on putting it through its paces.. The lake is supposed to build to 2-4 ft this afternoon so I think it should be a good test..

Thanks for the responses, guys! Heading to Grand Haven shortly...

Wow Ron!! Crazy!

I sure hope the plug is in! The marina dropped it in the water Friday... LOL

This isn't currently rigged for fishing. Was a family cruiser. But I was thinking, I cut the check this afternoon, about a 1/2 hour mounting Traxstech track, and I could at least be running dipseys and in line boards out of my triple rodholders... Evening bite?? LOL

Mike.. I totally intend on putting it through its paces.. The lake is supposed to build to 2-4 ft this afternoon so I think it should be a good test..

Thanks for the responses, guys! Heading to Grand Haven shortly...

Bill,

That is not a bad plan! I made 5 trips out last year before I got the down riggers and brackets on her. Dipseys are way more stealthy than riggers. Plus you can run two per side.

Good Luck and hoping to see some pics when its done!

Well, Got the sea trial done yesterday afternoon and it's a done deal! I am the proud new owner of a fuel guzzler!! LMAO Love it! Everything went great.. Did not get the chance to mount anything, but hopefully I will be able to get some done this week before making the run from Grand Haven to Manistee. I'm stoked and so is the better half! As soon as I'm home I will get some "before" pics up and then progress pics..

Thanks for all the advice guys! I appreciate it greatly!!

The current name on it is Knapptime...

Gotsta change it... LOL

Stop on by! We're gonna try to be up every weekend if possible and if my work schedule doesn't change... *praying HARD*