4/20/12, Lake Erie, Fishing Report

We took excellent catches of walleyes the last two days on Lake Erie with over 20 fish each charter. Yesterday, our best spot was in 10-12' of water off Little Cedar Point in Ohio waters. Gold blade baits worked the best there in that dirty water. Today, despite the high winds and pounding waves, we managed to jig up a quick Ohio limit out near the Toledo Harbor Light House with silver blade baits being most productive in those more clear waters. The fish we caught jigging today were some real dandies with some going over five pounds. After catching and releasing fish today until our arms hurt, we decided to troll some in Michigan waters. We caught some real nice walleyes on Rouges set 60' back behind the boards with a 3/8 ounce rubber core sinker one rod length ahead of the lure pulled at about 1.7 mph surging with the waves. We made one, long trolling pass from about one mile north of Turtle Island and pulled lines when we were about two miles out in front of Bolles Harbor taking hits all along that stretch.

Capt. Mike Veine

now since the wind finally let up it will be interesting to see if the jig bite will still be on in that area

The big winds we experienced with northerly winds which come offshore from Michigan. Northerly winds tend to clear up the Michigan waters which will make that much better for trolling there, but it also tends to dirty up the waters in Ohio. If that clearing extends out to Turtle Island and the light house, then the jig bite will be tough there. If the water is dirty there, then the Jig bite will be good in the dirty water. Often times, when the water at Turtle Island clears, there will still be good jigging to be had off Little Cedar Point.

My next trips are scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, then I'm done on Erie and will move my boat to Saginaw Bay (Au Gres).

The big winds we experienced with northerly winds which come offshore from Michigan. Northerly winds tend to clear up the Michigan waters which will make that much better for trolling there, but it also tends to dirty up the waters in Ohio. If that clearing extends out to Turtle Island and the light house, then the jig bite will be tough there. If the water is dirty there, then the Jig bite will be good in the dirty water. Often times, when the water at Turtle Island clears, there will still be good jigging to be had off Little Cedar Point.

My next trips are scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, then I'm done on Erie and will move my boat to Saginaw Bay (Au Gres).

I'm heading to Erie this weekend to fish Saturday and Sunday. I'm staying/launching at Turtle Creek Marina in Oak Harbor, OH. Any suggestions on where to start? I would prefer to jig or drift spinners rather than troll. I've heard a couple good things about Locust and Crib Reefs...Your thoughts?

k can and cone reef has been good out of turtle point little cedar point is about a 9 mile run to the west from there our you can put in at meinke marina there is a public launch there then only a 3 mile run to the west

I just checked out the satelite view of the lake. Looking around the clouds, you can see that the lake clarity is changing around big time in the few days. I'm predicting a good trolling bite this weekend in MI waters and also in parts of Ohio waters too. If it continued to clear out, then the jigging bite will be tougher. Here's a link.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=e&page=1