Wire/Copper Vs. Leadcore

I currently have 2 riggers, 2 diver rods, 4 LC set ups. 2-10 color rods, 1-7 color, 1-3 color. I have been debating on adding some new rods to my spread and have a few questions. So lets start with the basics.

1 is wire rod only used for divers?

2. What is the advantace of copper over LC.

Wire for divers

There are two lb tests of copper 32 and 45. 45 is heavier, and gets deeper than the 32. 32 fishes more like lead core and is a little deeper than lead core. 300' 45 lb copper fishes about 80 down. Personally and i know some guys on here love the 32 blood run, if i am going to run copper i want it to get deeper so i run the 45. Otherwise you may as well run lead core. It is cheaper and easier to deal with. i run up to a 7 color than go to 150 225 300 and 425 lengths of copper.

Wire for divers

There are two lb tests of copper 32 and 45. 45 is heavier, and gets deeper than the 32. 32 fishes more like lead core and is a little deeper than lead core. 300' 45 lb copper fishes about 80 down. Personally and i know some guys on here love the 32 blood run, if i am going to run copper i want it to get deeper so i run the 45. Otherwise you may as well run lead core. It is cheaper and easier to deal with. i run up to a 7 color than go to 150 225 300 and 425 lengths of copper.

What kind of depths with those lengths in 45lb copper.

Also do you need a roller rod for copper?

What kind of depths with those lengths in 45lb copper.

Also do you need a roller rod for copper?

no roller rod needed

150 about 40 about equal to a full core

225 about 60

300 about 80

425 about 90-95

It is also dependant on speed and current as to where in the water column it is at. This is a close reference to the depths. If you do buy copper get the super copper it is easier to deal with than regular copper.

Here is a depth chart for 45 lb: http://www.educatedangler.com/forums?func=view&catid=11&id=16593

Recommondations for reel sizes? For 300 and 250.

I was thinking a convector 55. Does it need to be a level wind 55L or will a straight 55 work.

I have 2 tekota 800s with my 300s and 2 cv55l with my 225s. 55l will handle both lengths nicely with 300 yds 50lb power pro backing. I always put about a 20 ft length of 30 lb test between the backer and copper to attach my boards to

Ok no roller rod needed but you can not use any old rod can you? Won't the copper cut into the guides?

Copper is pretty soft so it doesn't cut into the guides, but the knot going through the guides can sometimes pop the inserts out after time.

okuma makes an 8'6" copper rod that has oversized all metal guides the copper flows through very well. I do know a couple guys using the diawa wilderness rod and are able to fish copper. the trick is when the knot gets close to the tip dip the rod tip till it gets past the tip. and then again with the knot end at the leader. Before they came out with copper rods that was the way you had to do it. Other wise the knot will get stuck at the tip.

the nice part of the copper rods is the large eyes , the knots pass through easily, just make sure when you pay out line to use the clicker, or you could have a little birds nest.

photo0072.jpg

thats the copper rod.I have 8 on my boat, and a copper birds nest is no fun to deal with. Take your time with it letting it out and thumb that spool.