Freighter Grounded in Manistee Yesterday

EdB

They got her freed, video in this link:

http://www.9and10news.com/story/17451877/freighter-stranded-in-the-manistee-harbor

10:40pm- The McKees Sons was successfully removed from the Manistee Harbor and transported to Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin for further repairs.

10:00pm- We just spoke with the Coast Guard and we can tell you the freighter is floating once again and was being straightened out in the channel.

Tug boats are also in position, and it is possible the McKee Sons Freighter has already been pulled from the sandbar and into Lake Michigan.

6:00pm- A boat crew from Coast Guard Station in Manistee responded to a grounded vessel with 17 people on board around 5:45 this morning.

The barge "Invincible" was leaving the Manistee Harbor after dropping off a load of coal when it got grounded.

The vessel grounded in Lake Michigan about 600 feet north of the North Manistee Breakwall and is reportedly obstructing about 30 percent of the channel.

It was reported that the grounding damaged a shaft in the vessel's engine room, causing it to begin taking on water at the rate of about two gallons per minute.

The Coast Guard is enforcing a safety zone 100 yards around the vessel.

There were no reported injuries.

Pollution responders from SFO Grand Haven are monitoring the situation and are developing a response plan in coordination with Coast Guard Sector Lake Michigan, in Milwaukee, and the vessel owner.

The cause of the grounding is under investigation.

9&10's Jessica Dupnack was in Manistee today and has more details.

Nice Chris!!! ;-)

I can remember the first time I got a slip at the Muni.. Was fast asleep.. Then heard something and thought someone was on the boat.. Crawled out of the cuddy just to get the ever lovin s@it scared outta me as the Manistee was what seemed to be about 10 feet off my stern...

We still laugh about that to this day...

Nothin kills the harbor faster then a freighter going through. My boss and I had convo about this two weeks ago. We we going on a north just out front and the dept finder said 12ft where it usually is 20. They are still very cool every time they go down.