More wire questions

Ok, just bought my 1st wire dipsey combo and have read a lot of the posts on them which all help but what are the most important things I need to know when fishing with them? From the basics to details. Sounds like I need to be careful when letting them out. What about drag? Mag dipsey? Mostly flasher/fly? Thanks in advance. I 'm pumped to get out there and try the new stuff.

Dave

Dave, you will LOVE them when you get a big king on them and feel the fish blink.

Use the drag to set them.

DO NOT OPEN SPOOL wire on a diver.

Just loosen the drag to let them out and make sure it goes out slowly. This is important because if you just let them fall they may drop too quickly and get into your riggers, or twist up the flasher or any number of things.

once you get it out where you want it, tighted the drag, but JUST above the line creeping out. If fact, many guys will let them creep on purpose until they hit a fish. they will start at 150ish and let it creep to 180 or whenever a fish hits. THEN, put it back out to the distance the fish hit.

Also very important is snubbers. You must have good snubbers because there is NO give to wire and the fish will rip it's jaw off if you torque on it too much. This is another reason you want to leave the drag loose and keep it that way. Just baby the fish in. You may have to tighten it a little, but don't give it too much.

I use classic dipsey divers and just replace the rings with mag rings when the fish go deeper. there are MANY schools of thought on which divers work the best. They are similar, so I leave it to you to device. I run mine at 1.5 setting to get them away from the boat. If we are running two sets (two divers per side) I'll run one at 1.5 and one at 3.

Leader length is probably the most open debate. People will go 4', 6', 12'+. Sometimes you need a long leader to catch anything, sometimes you can get away with short. It's just what the fish want and you'll figure that out with time.

Hope this helps.

Ok, just bought my 1st wire dipsey combo and have read a lot of the posts on them which all help but what are the most important things I need to know when fishing with them? From the basics to details. Sounds like I need to be careful when letting them out. What about drag? Mag dipsey? Mostly flasher/fly? Thanks in advance. I 'm pumped to get out there and try the new stuff.

Dave

Here is the skinny on our diver program.

We run 4 wire divers btw.

Our low divers are always set to 1.5 using a 124 walkers. They are pulling a 11" white paddle, with a Big Weenie poofster fly (36"back).

In my boat, this has been the best producer by far year in, and out.

Dave,

I think Mark hit the nail on the head.. The only thing I can think of to add is to put a bead on your wire just above your swivel. Then make sure you crank the bead right to the tip when stowing your rods, keeping the wire tight. The bead protects the rod tip..

Have fun! Nothing like feeling a headshake 100 yds out... They're awesome!!