Discouraging trip tonight (4-12)....

Went out tonight for the first time this year out of Holland. After an awesome close to the season last year we were pretty dissapoined. We were marking them like crazy in 170-180 FOW with lines down between 50 and 80 feet where we were marking fish. Also had a copper line out and a couple dispy's.

We went until about 9:00PM before heading in with nothing but a release. Is night time fishing just not as good this time of year? Maybe it was the lure selection? What are people using? Spoons, Flies, j-plugs?

Thanks for the report, it was tough fishing out there last night. The NW blow definatly stirred things up a little. We had our fish on 11" paddles and flies fishing deep, like 150-170 down on the riggers.

Thanks for all the responses.

I have to admit that I have no idea what a slider is. Is that what you use to stack lines on a rigger? We have 4 riggers so we don't do that. We usually run 4 riggers, 2 dipsys and a lead and/or copper with planer boards.

We trolled straight out West and then back in East. I wish we would have trolled North or South right at about 180 feet, not sure if that would have helped.

ekbelt, we were marking them down there too but after reading all the reports we stayed up a bit higher. Guess we should have lowered them.

Do you guys just try different depths where you are marking them until you get something or do your put your lines right where you are marking them?

We had a big spread from a 3 color all the way down to 180 feet. When I keep seeing marks at a certain depth I always try to get a rigger in that same water to get them to hit. Most of the time it works. Last night was tough though, we really only had 1 rod firing. In my experience, during the spring the daytime is better fishing than early morning and later in the evening. That switches when the water warms up though.

a free slider is about 6 ft. of line with two snap swivels on it put a lure on one end and hook the other end to yor main line after its to depth and it will slide down to the "Bellie" about half way down when you get fish on it you need to popit and reel like mad to get things tight.

I highly recommend using sliders. I bet half of my fish I caught on down riggers last year came off sliders. Also, make sure you use Flourocarbon for the slider leaders. I started getting way more hits my riggers after I changed my leaders over to 20lb Gamma Flouro.

What depth were you fishing? How fast?

I fish just north of holland and west troll at 2.3SOG has been best. Sometimes making turns and changing speeds help to triiger the bites.

My riggers were best 90-115 down lately but shallower could be better with the north blow lately. Mag spoons have been the key with all the large bait they're eating, but flasher flys have been taking some fish.

Thanks for the info, We were going around 2.8 mph according to the GPS in 170-180 FOW. We only put the riggers down to where we were marking fish in about a 30 foot spread. We were a little higher up than you. Do you normally fish just below where you mark them? Do they see the lures better underneath of them?

Andrew,

Fish can only look up, not down.. You want to keep your spread at or just above where you're marking the majority of the fish.

Are you able to track your rigger weights with your fish finder?