Downrigger Weights

I've been thinking about building a mold for a 15lb downrigger weight. I haven't decided if I should go with a pancake style or the ball style. I already have a mold for a 9lb ball and they work great. Thought I would post and get some thoughts, both good and bad, from the many people on the board.

Also, if I started selling them, would anyone be interested?

Here are some pictures of what I have designed for a 15lb ball and pancake, also a pic of the 9lb ball I currently use.

15lbPancake.jpg

15lbBall.jpg

9lbball.jpg

i like the bulleted front

I agree, Don.. I like it a lot!

Personally, I'm not a big fan of pancake weights. The tail gets bent too easy then they don't track well, Bill gets Po'd at the numerous tangles before figuring out they are bent, then when Bill figures out the problem, Bill throws pancake weight overboard!! LMAO

Noooo... That's never happened... Not even with a chrome shark that wouldn't run true.....

I agree, Don.. I like it a lot!

Personally, I'm not a big fan of pancake weights. The tail gets bent too easy then they don't track well, Bill gets Po'd at the numerous tangles before figuring out they are bent, then when Bill figures out the problem, Bill throws pancake weight overboard!! LMAO

Noooo... That's never happened... Not even with a chrome shark that wouldn't run true.....

The bullet nose works great. Never had any issues with tracking with my 9lbers I currently run.

I like the pancake best and I bend them on purpose to keep them out from the boat and I use a round ball with a short fin in back for the center down rigger , just me and it works fine very few tangles, I always fish the center the deepest .Bud

Hmmm.... I think I figured out why I like the bullet nose... Reminds me of something else I like...

Here's an idea for naming the weights.. Use cup sizes.. for instance the 15 pounder could be DD.... Double deep!!! ;-)

Do they make the plastic coat in flesh tone???

I think I need a pair of these!!! :-)

ugh... I need to get out fishing SOON!!!! LOL

Man, there are a lof of opinions on this.

I love my pancake weights out the sides. Keeps the lines away from the boat and I don't have to worry about them no matter the current.

I do need a 13-15lb ball for the middle (don't want to run a pancake down the chute).

I love the little dimple on the front.

I'd sell them in pairs if with some colorful packaging if I were you.

There's your million dollar idea.

Kevin,

I hope I didn't offend you with what I said. I truly like the design and would love to get a pair of 15 pounders from you.

I was just trying to be a little humerous about the shape. My apologizies.

Kevin,

I hope I didn't offend you with what I said. I truly like the design and would love to get a pair of 15 pounders from you.

I was just trying to be a little humerous about the shape. My apologizies.

No need to apologize! I like you're thinking :thumb: I'll let you know when I get them made. I think I'm going to go ahead and make both styles then I don't have to decide until I'm ready to drop them down.

I'm sure this will vary person to person, but what is the preferred color for the coating? I've always used the red before, just because I have it. Its not a plasticoat though, it's nothing more than the rubber grip stuff for tool handles, but I've never had any issues.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Senez, there is way less blow back in a 15lb ball than a 10, especially when you are fishing 100ft down and farther. 65ft and shallower, I wouldn't worry about it. 10 should be fine.

As for color, I like the green coating on my pancakes. We run a lot of green lures, so I'm partial to green.

i like red or black. i have 2 red ones and 2 black ones. it doesnt seem to bother the fish one way or the other. the 13 lb pancake weights at 50 to 65 ft whitch is where i do most of my fishing for eyes, i dont get hardley any blow back at all. i used the round finned 8 lb balls and the fished shaped ones for many years and just lived with the blow back. then when i got my first electric about 3 yrs ago i bought some 10 lb pancake weights. they did pretty good, so i decided to try the 13 lb weights. and they are even better. i would never go back to a lighter weight unless all my fishing was in the top 30 ft. and then it wouldnt be by choice. i love my heavy weights and i love my pancake weights.

if you make both you have the option to try them both. and find out for yourself which ones you like. just please let us know what happens. i have heard some guys really put the pancake weights down. but i,ve had nothing but good things to say about them.

sherman

The 9lbers I have now have a pretty good blow back if I get down past 40-50ft. As sherman mentioned, I've just lived with it. I have an entire machine shop with CNC's at my disposal, so I may as well make what I need. For now, I think I will start with the ball (I already have the aluminum on hand for that size mold) and see how it works out. I will still make the pancake.

Really appreciate all the opinions. As I mentioned, I'd be willing to make and sell some once I get them proofed out if anyone is interested. I'll have to see what I have into them before I can come up with a price, lead and coating is pricey!

How much for the round ones? 16 pounders would be cool. 15's are only 3 pounds heavier than 12 pounders you can get in any store.

I could make them 16lbs, I just had some request for 15's. I'm not sure what it would cost to make them yet. Would you want them coated or not? If yes, would you want a hard plastic coat or would the red rubber coating work?

I could make them 16lbs, I just had some request for 15's. I'm not sure what it would cost to make them yet. Would you want them coated or not? If yes, would you want a hard plastic coat or would the red rubber coating work?

No need to coat them, the coating comes off bouncing bottom anyway.