2nd Diver Rod

I am currently running a 10' dipsy rod off each side of the boat. And was thinking about adding a low diver rod on the inside. What would you recommend. Also how far apart should I run them as far as depth to keep tangles to a min.

i regularly run a 107mm walker 2-3 setting outside and the inside with a 124mm walker 1.5 setting. I can run them the same amount of line out and often run the outside farther out than the inside to hit the same target depth. With the different size divers and settings, there should be enough spread to avoid tangles.

What rods do you have? I run 8'6" Blue diamond roller rods on the inside and 10' Okuma Classic rods on the outside. The only thing I would be concerned about running these lengths is if you have different brands and have a lot less back bone on the outside rod.

I run wire on the inside with 7'6" old and ugly lurh-jenson roller rods, 10' okuma classics with braird on the outside.

124 walker inside on 1 this will give you an approx. 2 to 1 depth 100' out = 50' down

107 walker outside on 2.5 should be approx a 3 to 1 depth 100' out = 33' down

i sometimes run as many as 4 rods on each side. but usely only run 3 rods. but we do get a tangle every once in a great while. but this is fishing walleye, and sometimes the fish will be out over another rod when we reel them in. this is not much of a problem with eyes, but i could see this being major with a big green king.

i use the light bite slide divers, so the dial is alittle different than with the dipsy or the walker. but its all about the same thing. i run my 1st or outside diver set on 6, then let it out to get the depth i want. say 230 ft gets me down approxamantly 55 ft. so on my 2nd diver i will set it on 4.5 and 210 ft out. then my 3rd diver i set at 3 and 190 ft back and my 4th and final diver i set on 1.5 at 170 ft back. sometimes i will put 30 ft between the divers. this runs all my divers about the same depth. if i adjust the depth i adjust the whole side. if i want to go alittle deeper i will start with the outside diver and let it out another 20 ft. then just work my way back in from the front. if i want to go alittle shallower i start with the back rod and bring it in 20 ft, then just work my way forward, moving all of them 20 ft.

im not saying this is the right way to do it, or the best way to do it. but its the way i do it.

i dont know just how close the depths and line really are that i listed. i would have to check my charts to be real close. the way i got my dive curves, i went out to 50 ft of water using 65 lb braid as my main line. then fishing for walleyes i run just under 2 mph. then i took my diver set on 1.5 and let out line untill i started bumping bottom. it took 125 ft out to bump bottom so i devided 50 ft by 12.5, that gave me my dive down for each 10 ft of line out. that was like 3.7 ft down for each 10 ft of line out. then i did it on the 3 setting then the 4.5 setting and then the 6 setting. and they all came out about 20 ft difference between each diver. so i just set my outside diver where i want to fish then just use 20 ft less line on each rod and lower setting. and thats the reason i sometimes use more line between my divers, so they all wont be so close to the same depth. i have even run them 40 ft between divers. then if im catching fish on a certain diver i will tighten them back up close to the one thats catching fish.

to do this its best to use the same type and size reel with the same amount of line spooled on them. because a half spooled reel wont count the same as a fully spooled reel. and some reels dont count the same. but if they count the same then you can get them real close to the sweet spot. it doesnt matter so much how much line you have out as it does to get back to the same spot. if your out 200 ft and your catching fish, then you want to get back to that 200 ft. if one reel is letting out 170 ft when the counter says 200, and another reel is letting out 210 ft when the counter says 200. you,ve just changed your depth by about 10 ft. and thats not what you want.

if you dont think im right just take 2 reels one full the other half full. then pull them both out about 100 ft on the counter then check where the end of your line is. thats why they need to be the same. the counters are just a guide so you can get back to the same spot that you caught fish. not how many feet you are actualy out. because the reels count different if they dont have the same amount of line on them. hope this all makes sence to you guys. the best of luck with all your fishing.

and i am sorry for such a long post. but if it helps just one person catch more fish then it was worth it.

sherman

one other thing i didnt mention. i use a 10' rod in front then a 9' rod then an 8' rod then a 7' rod. it just helps keep them apart.

I did nor read the above post, so sorry if I repeat. We run 2 divers per side all summer long. We run 4 wire divers, but braid will work also. Our out divers are 107 walkers set @ 2.5 off a 10' rod, and the inside divers are 124 walkers, set @ 1 off a 8' rod. The inside divers runs about 1' down for every 2' out, and the outs, run 1' down for every 3' out.