Batteries

I will be running 3 riggers next year and possibly an auto pilot. Currently the boat has two cranking batteries. I think I need to upgrade the batteries for my needs.

How many batteries are you using in your boat? How many riggers are you running?

I run three batteries, but we took the center rigger off and only run two now. There are so many other options to run. I think we caught the majority of our fish on wire and lead core this year, also it is easier to keep the chute clear or have a dipsey rod that can be easily moved to net a fish.

• 3 weeks later...
I will be running 3 riggers next year and possibly an auto pilot. Currently the boat has two cranking batteries. I think I need to upgrade the batteries for my needs.

How many batteries are you using in your boat? How many riggers are you running?

Your riggers are minimal draw, and they are not spinning all day long, so your boats charging system will recover any batter drain quickly. The AP really doesnt draw much power either. Radar, Inverters, water pumps, and things that make heat are what will kill your batterys faster than your charging system can recover. I'm assuming you are trolling(i.e. motor running) while you are using these devices, correct?

You are probably fine with a two dual purpose battery switched bank.

• 2 weeks later...