Leadcore rigging

Hello everyone, I'm new to trolling leadcore but have ready many good articles and posts regarding this topic on this site already...

One question that remains for me is if/where to attach a swivel if running spoons? Snap swivel right at the spoon, or does that kill the action of the spoon? Or just a snap at the spoon and a swivel a few feet up? I'd love to get input on how you all rig up the terminal tackle on your leadcores.

Thanks in advance

Anthony, you need to put a 20-30' pc of mono. or fluorocarbon on the end of the core, then a good quality ball bearing swivel.

This video shows ho to tie a willis knot (I just use an Albright knot)

Hi Anthony,

Welcome!!

The willis knot is awesome for tying leadcore to backing and your leader! It's the only knot I use and NEVER (knock on wood) had one fail..

As far as the spoons go, I use a GOOD ball bearing snap swivel to attach my spoons. One of the things I look for in a snap is a good, gradual, round bend in the end of the snap. Too tight and I feel that may impede action a little. Sampo and Dreamweaver snaps are the best IMHO.

I cannot emphasize this next statement enough.. Make sure the snaps are a coastlock or similiar locking snap. The cheaper snaps with just the tab lock WILL straighten out on a good fish.

I hope this helps ya. Any other questions, feel free to fire away!!

Thanks guys, just tied my first willis knot, not too tricky once you get the leader trimmed up nice. I do have a follow-up question...

If using the snap-swivel right at the spoon, do you like to remove the split ring or leave in place? Seems like alot of extra schtuff out in front with swivel-snap-split ring...

If they come with them, I leave em on and if they don't, I don't worry about it..

This is a great rule of thumb ^^

Like said above, use a high quality swivel with a big loop, and a cross lock.

I got some duel lock snaps, and just replaced the snap part of all my BB swivels.

Like this.

img_9869.jpg

I also use 2 willis knots but that's probably just being redundant.

Wow... That must be a real bear to thread the mono through!!

Knock on wood (^ *hits head*) I have never had a single Willis knot fail on me. And since switching to a palomar knot on all my terminal tackle, not one failure there either..