04/07/12, Lake Erie, Fishing Report

It was an absolute beautiful, enjoyable day on Lake Erie today with good people, blue skies, calm winds and plenty of fish on the lines. We took limit catches of some outstanding walleyes fishing mostly in Ohio waters, but we did try one trolling pass in Michigan waters too at the end of the charter. We took most of our fish trolling in water 20-23 feet deep with our best lures being gold/black Thundersticks 60' back and a Rattling Shad Raps 45' back behind the Church Tackle Walleye Boards. I had 3/8 ounce of weight 5' in front of the lures. We found some good trolling water about 15 miles southeast of Bolles Harbor. We also did some jigging and pulled six fish off the reef in about 45 minutes, then we went back to trolling which always produces bigger fish. We did take some jumbo walleyes today to top off an impressive box of fish. I'll be taking the next few days off to let this predicted weather system blow through and then I'll be hitting the water again when fair weather returns mid-week. I everyone a happy Easter.

Capt. Mike Veine

IMG_7530-001.JPG

Nice work MV. I'm looking forward to seeing you on the bay.:thumb:

Frank, I bet you're chomping at the bit to get out fishing, especially after all you went through last year, which kept you off the water. Hopefully you'll be well enough to hit the Bay with a vengence this spring.

Lake Erie is tops for walleyes during the early spring, but from May on, I much prefer fishing on Saginaw Bay.

Capt. Mike Veine