What's a charter trip cost?

I've never been on a fishing charter and was wondering what the average cost is, particularly in the St Joseph, Mi area. Per person, not per pound (I've been putting on a little weight). Is it possible to even get on one with just 1 person, or do they usually require a group?

Also if I do get one lined up, is it in bad form to ask lots of questions, or is it like poker where I pay to see but lessons are extra?

I can't say for sure how much they are in your area, but around here in Mansitee they run anywhere from $400 to $600 or more. Most of the charter guys I know don't mind the questions, so don't be afraid to ask.

Another idea you may want to consider is getting a ride from someone on here and learning the ropes that way. I see open seat postings all the time on this site, and there are some very experienced guys and gals here willing to take you out and teach some great techniques. Just throw out a few bucks for gas and it's all good. If you are ever up in Manistee give me a shout. I have open seats all the time.

Good luck,

Chris

Holy cow. :eek:

o.k., how much is the price without call girls?

youll find thats the going rate anywhere..and when you add up fuel cost and operational cost,lost tackle,paying the mate and the captains time it doesnt end up being very lucrative.these charters arent making millions of dollars a year..many struggle to make ends meet..all in all when you add up all the costs of running a trip i dont see where it is out of line at all

John here in Milwaukee I usually go on 1 to 2 charters a year, its nice not to have to drive the boat clean the fish clean the boat, be a gracious host . Its also fun to have a good time fishing. around here its runs from 400-600 also, and there is evening charters 3 hours (after work charters) which are cheaper. Its a great way to learn if you can afford it. Get a bunch of buddies together or family , we do 4-6 people and it runs from 70-110 per person.

youll find thats the going rate anywhere..and when you add up fuel cost and operational cost,lost tackle,paying the mate and the captains time it doesnt end up being very lucrative.these charters arent making millions of dollars a year..many struggle to make ends meet..all in all when you add up all the costs of running a trip i dont see where it is out of line at all

Same price on this side of the pond.

Plus the tip too.

My cost for my 17.5' out of oshkosh was right at 100.00 per trip just in gas, ice and launch fee. No upkeep, no insurance, no boat payment, no advertising, no slip fee, no tackle, or storage. Kinda makes your head spin and the wallet thin just thinking about it.

The big boats can really eat the gas when they gotta go deep. I have never run one or booked one but IMHO I think those guys just love to share the fishing experience not money.

I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. My poorly timed sense of humor sometimes gets away from me. And I agree completely you can't put a price on expertise or convenience. Perhaps I misunderstood, however. Is that the average price for the entire trip, or the average price per person?

i was just thinking the other day what its going to cost me to take my boat up to lake erie and spend 3 nights in the campground and fish for 2 1/2 days. i live 335 miles from where i like to fish on erie. so im looking at 800.00 to 900.00 just for the trip, camping and boat gas. then i already have all the gear and boat, but if something brakes then it comes out of my pocket.

sherman

No offense taken here. Made me laugh. Charters are great if you just want to sit back and relax. No messes to untangle, no fish or boat to clean etc., but in all seriousness, if you are looking to learn, get with someone who has an open seat posted on this site and jump in. Everything I have learned is from messing it up (at least twice) in the past. After you loose a couple $50 dollar rigs you figure out quick what you are doing wrong.

Good luck,

Chris

.........we do 4-6 people and it runs from 70-110 per person.

Well then, that is very reasonable. I had thought to take a couple fishing buddy rookies/future deckhands like myself out for a day of fun and education, but the thought of spending $1200 - $1800 for the in-service education seemed a bit dear.

I am going to have to give this thread 5 stars.

Same here, Dan!! LOL

John, if you ever want to come up to Manistee I'm sure we can work something out to find ya a seat!! That way you can at least learn what NOT to do!! :grin: