Wire Question

I just bought two wire setups for dipsies. I've seen posts that I need to let all the line out with a 1lb ball and then reel back in before these rods are ready to be fished with. Is this really necessary?

Depends how tight it was spooled... If its tight already I would say no. I replaced my wire diver line last summer and did not do this 1lb ball thing. I spooled them nice and tight to start with. Have had zero issues.

I had to do it with mine i just had spooled... the wire was a little loose and it wouldnt come off the reel right when it was attached to the dipsy, what happens is it gets out of line with the levelwind and it wont let line out, it binds up.. atleast thats the problem i had anyway lol works fine now

Kinks in wire... not good. It's a weak spot and eventually it will fail there. I spool up with 1000' and have always just cut back where the kinks are. Last summer I lost like 2 or 3 entire dipsy setups and finally decided to ditch that wire and respool. The old stuff had lots of kinks and always curly cued up at the end. Another thing to avoid kinks is always have the line tight. I put a bead before the swivel and also reel it in all the way to the tip always--when a fish is coming in, or when I'm storing the rod too.

Kinks in wire... not good. It's a weak spot and eventually it will fail there. I spool up with 1000' and have always just cut back where the kinks are. Last summer I lost like 2 or 3 entire dipsy setups and finally decided to ditch that wire and respool. The old stuff had lots of kinks and always curly cued up at the end. Another thing to avoid kinks is always have the line tight. I put a bead before the swivel and also reel it in all the way to the tip always--when a fish is coming in, or when I'm storing the rod too.

Great points. I add a 3" piece of surgical tubing or old snubber between the bead and swivel so I can reel it up tight without too much pressure on tip. Wire is expensive but I know a mag dipsy, snubber, leader, flasher and meat rig with teasers cost us about $70 when it broke at a kink. Thats alot of wire!

I run 4 of them, and have never done that. Like said above, spool it on tight.

I second Terry I have had no problems with them I use a line spool system and keep a lot of tension on the mother spool and it comes on nice and tight. I would suggest taking a lot of care when setting the dipsey out. I had a guy just put the reel in freespool with the clicker on and over ran the dipsey and made a heck of a mess. That can lead to bad recovery if u are not care ful.

Never done the ball thing worked fine for 3 years now with same wire. usually your kinks will be within a foot or two of your crimp anyway so you wont lose much. its really hard for mr to let inexpierenced people touch my wire rods though I just cringe when they are free spooling them out. hottest 2 rods in the boat last year!