Holland 3/31, Good day, good deeds do get rewarded

Well, it's been a good day. Good eats, good fishin, and good deeds. Ralph and I went fishing out of Holland this morning after a nice breakfast at DeBoers Bakerij, yummy hippy hash. brrrrrrrr.

We picked away at the filet mignon of Lake Michigan - got 1/2 dozen small cohos and lost a couple with slow on the draw mcgraw grabbin the rods. We worked 185-220 FOW this morning.

What worked:

35 feet down, Tequila Sunrise - repeated

5 color, orange dodger, blue fly

72 feet down, screw ball

Couldn't buy a bite on the surface flats.

We were out in 200 FOW, about 6 miles out, when we received a distress call from another boat - out in 250 FOW with engine trouble. Coast Guard no where to be found on the radio this time of year. :confused:So we pulled lines and went WEST to 250 feet of water - where's the boat???? Call him up on the radio, now they are in 270 with the offshore wind - next stop, Milwaukee. So we continue west to 15 miles from shore, and then towed them back at 7 mph for a couple hours. Got to 1/2 mile from shore, 1/2 gas tank later and the 2 stroke low oil reservoir buzzer finally puked enough and the engine said enough is enough. :eek:Safe mode kicked in on the engine and limited my rpms to keep her running. Clever boys at Mercruiser. Lesson learned - always keep a spare gallon of 2 stroke oil in the boat!

Thank you West Wind for stopping on your way in and riding the last 1/2 mile in with us as a little insurance policy, very much appreciated. Hope to see you at Brown Blast next week, will gladly buy you a beer! :thumb:The guys from Baldwin/Ludington were very appreciative and kind enough to fill the boat back up with gas once safely ashore. I sure hope someday, somebody is willing to come pick me up 15 miles from shore on March 31st!

They don't charge (your tax dollars at work), but they usually do a full blown inspection when you get boarded, whether in distress or not. Make you wear the orange life jackets of shame when you get towed, and Coastie tickets can be expensive if you don't have your ducks in a row.

They don't charge (your tax dollars at work), but they usually do a full blown inspection when you get boarded, whether in distress or not. Make you wear the orange life jackets of shame when you get towed, and Coastie tickets can be expensive if you don't have your ducks in a row.

If your boat is dead in the water. Life jackets of shame should go on anyways.

Scott, good fishing and very kind of you to go our and hook up that boat. I bet those guys were stressed out. That should bring some good fishing karma all year.

great job Scott! Guys like you make this world a better place to live. If you ever need help out there you can count on me to come and get you. Hope you don't have to test that next week at the brown blast (lol). Looking forward to chatting with you next weekend and good luck.

scott nice of you to go get the guys,they called mac baitsand they called me so i was about to hook my boat back up when phill from plumb crazy said you guys were going to get em thanks guys i have had to be towed in before to and its a god send when some one comes to get ya so ^5s to ya !!!