St. Joseph 3-19 first trip of the season

Well it felt like June and fished like June.

We went 3 for 6, but two of the boated fish were shaker cohos that we returned. The other was a nice 6-8 pound laker.

We had trouble finding the silver fish. We stayed mostly in the muddy water north and the scumline to the south.

Surface temps in the dirty water were 59. IN the clean water south it was closer to 50. Down about 20 feet temps were 48.

We hooked into something big, making two runs, probably a king. This was on 3 colors of lead with a red brad's thin fin. Unfortunately it dehooked about the time I took the board off.

All in all, it was beautiful, and fun to get back on the water.

Scott

Great weather to be fishing in March...cannot believe that I was ice fishing 9 days ago. I am looking forward to the first day on the great lakes. It is nice to watch a couple of poles go off. Nice Laker too bad that you missed on the king. Those smaller fish make great fish for the smoker.

What r u calling shaker coho at this time of the year? Those are the steak of the lake best eating u can get for a salmon. Anything over about 14 " is goin in my box. Hope to get the boat launched and into the slip today. If not tomorrow. I am all ready to go and my fishn partner is still workin. He was hoping to get off by 2:00 but he hasn't called yet/.

Size of the thin fins....Okay I'll have to check. I honestly thought there was just one size. For some crazy reason all of mine are the same size. Looking on the web, they seem to be the 1/2 oz 2 3/4 inch variety.

One of the smaller shaker salmon came on a hot n tot that was about a size smaller than the Brad's thinfish.

Scott