Sea Ray 240 Signature for Fishing

My brother & I are seriously considering the purchase of a Sea Ray 240 Signature for Salmon fishing out on Lake Michigan. The boat is in mint condition for a 2003 model year.

The input we are seeking is that because the boat came equipped with a 7.4 liter V8, or a GM 454 big block - will she troll well knowing that we would have to use our trolling bags. Is this just too much engine for a boat that size.

The other train of thought here is the economic factor involved for fuel consumption.

We feel that the price is right and really want to step up to a bigger boat to meet the conditions the big lake can and will dish out at times.

Well, not to talk you out of buying this one, because MINE is for sale also (2651 bayliner with a 305, all rigger up and ready to go), but here is my advice:

Bigger engine the better.

You only burn fuel when you go out, not when you are trolling.

Now that boat could do fine with a 350 or maybe a 305 (but probably a 350).

When you troll you the carbs are not open like you are when you run out, so you don't burn that much. The smaller jets take over and you actually do ok.

Personally, I would go for the 350.

Very proven dependable engines with TONS of spare parts around and tons of guys that know how to work on them.

That's just my opinion.

Oh, and let me know if you want a bayliner 2651 with electrics, triple trees, fish hawk, HDS 5, etc etc. We went up to a 30'.

Sorry, forgot to answer your other question, will she troll down slow enough.

With big enough drag bags anything can troll at the right speed.

OK, alsmost anything.

I don't think it would be a problem, but I'm betting you would have to use big bags.

Edited by Just Hook'n
adding more.

It's NOT too much engine for that boat- it's absolutely perfect. A 5.7 (350) would get it done- but barely. Alot of people that opt for a big block are often surprised that their fuel burn doesn't change much over a struggling small block..........it's just not working that hard to push the boat. Plus I'd rather have the extra power (and speed) for when the boat is loaded down and weather is coming. I doubt you'll have to use bags unless it's a duoprop drive.

FWIW- I have fished plenty out of a 20' Trophy with a 4.3 (not much different than a 305's horsepower) and it's a dead ass with more than two people on board or with even just a full tank of fuel- and yes, it's propped right.

Hey Dave, check out this boat, a buddy of mine is selling. Probably the cleanest fishing boat around. This thing is a fishing machine and can handle some big weather. For what he is asking I think he is nuts this thing is worth so much more. Check it out http://www.skipperbuds.com/Page.aspx/diid/7069994/list/InventoryList/pageId/9033/view/Details/1998-Baha-Cruiser-278-FISHERMAN.aspx

Hey Dave, check out this boat, a buddy of mine is selling. Probably the cleanest fishing boat around. This thing is a fishing machine and can handle some big weather. For what he is asking I think he is nuts this thing is worth so much more. Check it out http://www.skipperbuds.com/Page.aspx/diid/7069994/list/InventoryList/pageId/9033/view/Details/1998-Baha-Cruiser-278-FISHERMAN.aspx

That this is AWESOME! Kicker and a Tr1 would definitely keep the fishing expense down on that boat.

Re: Sea Ray 240 Signature for Fishing

In regards to the questions I had posted about the Sea Ray 240 Signature for Salmon fishing out on Lake MI.

I certainly do appreciate the feedback. Even though we are experienced boaters & have been fishing the big water for a long time, we still value the input of other fisher people.

Great Lakes Fisherman always has some type of useful info on fishing & gear or the boats that we use to chase the fish with.

Since we are interested in a bigger boat but, she has to be fairly clean & fairly new.

As most people know, the big water can be rough, so anything smaller than 23 ft. just won't do us any good.