keel weights

I plan on running keel weights for my high lines for coho and I am wondering what distance ahead of the flasher I should run the weight?

Also does anyone have any info for weights 1/2 oz , 5/8 oz , 3/4 oz 1 oz . how deep will they run?

we usually run 2 oz snap weights run the lure out 50' then snap on we usually figure with spoons and crawler harnesses 2' out is 1' down but if your putting flashers on they gonna drag harder your guess is as good as mine. put em on a downrigger then you know where they are just run the 50' lead.

we usually run 2 oz snap weights run the lure out 50' then snap on we usually figure with spoons and crawler harnesses 2' out is 1' down but if your putting flashers on they gonna drag harder your guess is as good as mine. put em on a downrigger then you know where they are just run the 50' lead.

Since the coho are usually in the top 20 feet the rods with the keel weights will be running 5 to 15 feet deep . but way out to the side . where you might run a 1 or 2 color rig.

Jim,

I don't know if this is along the lines of what you were thinking the way we fish cohos. I usually do a "wing span" distance from my flasher/dodger, usually 5-6 feet. I try to make sure my flasher/dodger is running just below the surface but still doing its thing. Sometimes, especially on flat calm days, you will see your flasher running flat on the surface and not running properly. That is usually when I add weight. If I want am trying to hit a target zone deeper than what I consider surface fish, 50' of copper or a couple colors of lead

One of my buddies used to fish Waukegon many years ago brought back what he calls a Waukegon rig. I guess a lot of boats run it over there. Maybe the WI guys can chime in on this. It starts with a small conventional orange dodger and coho fly, you then attach a keel weight directly to the front of the dodger. You run this back exactly 21ft off a board and send it out. He always stressed the short 21 ft lead off the board as key as he felt the board also attracted the coho's The keel weight on the dodger keeps the rig from running on the surface and keeps it from spinning out at higher speeds. Works great on coho's.

Jim try running 1 or 2 colors of leadcore u will get 5 to 10 feet down and the presentation is good because of the leader to the flasher. I really like the 1 color with a 000 red dodger and a 4 foot leader to a firecracker Sigs coho candy it has been killer over the last couple of seasons. The short cores have really worked better than the keelweights for me.

Jim, here's my setup. Tie the keel weight directly to your line with a bead above it, then reel it to the tip of the rod and tie on a swivel below the reel, (about 6 feet.) I start the year out with 1/2oz weights and move to 3/4 and 1oz as the water warms. I start with 50 foot leads to the board on every rod and as the water warms stretch out as far as 100ft if needed using the bigger weights also. Set up one side of your boat with 00's and peanut flys and the other side with baby spin doctors and 2" coho flys. Don't mix and match on the same side. Every time you catch a fish just let out the other boards and run the board your setting on the inside, you'll never tangle and this is the fastest way to reset your spread. The other reason this is important is when your on a big school and fish are biting like crazy if you try to put a board back on the outside alot of times a fish will hit one of the other boards as you are letting the boards back out and it will tangle your lines. Alot of times one side will out produce the other, so when one side is up by 5 fish the other side gets switched out and every rod on the boat has the same setup. Don't waste time with leadcore for cohos early in the year, you can catch twice as many fish in the same amount of time with keel weights.

Jim, here's my setup. Tie the keel weight directly to your line with a bead above it, then reel it to the tip of the rod and tie on a swivel below the reel, (about 6 feet.) I start the year out with 1/2oz weights and move to 3/4 and 1oz as the water warms. I start with 50 foot leads to the board on every rod and as the water warms stretch out as far as 100ft if needed using the bigger weights also. Set up one side of your boat with 00's and peanut flys and the other side with baby spin doctors and 2" coho flys. Don't mix and match on the same side. Every time you catch a fish just let out the other boards and run the board your setting on the inside, you'll never tangle and this is the fastest way to reset your spread. The other reason this is important is when your on a big school and fish are biting like crazy if you try to put a board back on the outside alot of times a fish will hit one of the other boards as you are letting the boards back out and it will tangle your lines. Alot of times one side will out produce the other, so when one side is up by 5 fish the other side gets switched out and every rod on the boat has the same setup. Don't waste time with leadcore for cohos early in the year, you can catch twice as many fish in the same amount of time with keel weights.

so in essence as you describe it I will be running similar to what you would run on a mast system.

I will also be running 2 dipsys and 2 riggers , with the possibility of running multiple keel weight rods. that would depend on how many fisher people I have on the boat with me .

How are you marking the line so you have 50 - 100 ft leads , are you using line counters?

when are you putting the boat in the water?

I will be out there this weekend again.

so in essence as you describe it I will be running similar to what you would run on a mast system.

I will also be running 2 dipsys and 2 riggers , with the possibility of running multiple keel weight rods. that would depend on how many fisher people I have on the boat with me .

How are you marking the line so you have 50 - 100 ft leads , are you using line counters?

when are you putting the boat in the water?

I will be out there this weekend again.

Ya, basically the same as a mast without the mast.

You should have no problem running 3-4 boards a side and a diver and rigger.

Use the line counter or count the level wind passes on your reels, I usually figure about 8 feet a pass

I'll be out first weekend in April if all goes as planned