Cheboygan river???

This spring i may be starting a new job in cheboygan. I am going up there on 3-14-12 to look things over. Looking for any info. On fishing for walleye, do i need to take my boat or can i just fish from shore. I have never fished a river for walleye any help here would be great!

If I was going to take a boat I would only take my 14' puddle jumper. Thunder Bay does not sound like a bad idea when I get the new floor done in my other boat. Most of my takle box is for salmon fishing. Any pointers on a few basic walleye lures that might land me a few eater walleyes near cheboygan.

Ya can't go wrong with the real thing. Crawler harnesses with Bottom Bouncers, In-line weights, or snap weights. In that order. Colors: Chartreuse, Purple, Glows, Orange, Pink. These are a few of my favorite things. Spoons and cranks will work also. I tie my own rigs. I was just messing with some before logging on.:) Early river fishing jigs with crawlers or minnows or even grub tails. When you get over there start yacking with some of the locals. They may be looking for a fishing pal or may share some of their knowledge. Spend a buck or two in the local bait shops and ask questions.:)

Take the puddle jumper! Stop at either rockport or alpena. Atlantics are around, and so are the browns(for once). If you fish outta the rockport, pull boards with cranks or 2-3 color leads with spoons. Turn north outta the pier heads and fish the shoreline. There's a "trench" thats about 70 yards wide and 300 yards long. 20-25ft and 14-16 on each side. Lots of fish stack up in there this time of year!

As far as Alpena goes, theres a few browns at the warm water discharge up the Lafarge channel.

The first run out of St Ignace last year produced 4 kings and one Atlantic Salmon. Nothing over 8 lbs but some nice little fatties. That run was on May 15. I think that we were out about 4 hours lead core and a nk spoon produced 3 of the fish. The other two came off the downriggers.

I would take your 14' boat for Cheboygan river walleye....river gets a lot of boat traffic when walleye are in.....blue and silver or blk and silver rebels or rapalas I've heard used quite a bit. I don't fish them much though. Usually troll up stream, but you can troll both directions. Just be aware there can be a lot of boats in river. Wish I could tell you more...but once you start fishing you will talk to others and get more info, especially if you work in the area..you will meet people who can help you.

Good luck.

Thanks for the information on the river, I will probably hold off on fishing in the river till it slows down a bit. I like to stay away from big numbers of boats, it takes away from the relaxing part of fishing. I will probably stick to steelie fishing from shore till I get my big boat out on the lake.

I guess I misunderstood your question.....Cheboygan River is not open for walleye yet.....I was referring to once the fish are in and season opens. Should be able to get some steelhead in Cheboygan river now though.

• 1 month later...

I started working at Walstrom Marine on the river 2 weeks ago been to busy to get any fishing in yet??? But I have seen alot of boats fishing in the morning from the marina up river to the second bridge. I have also seen people shore fishing in front of the Dnr station south of the first bridge. I have been seeing lots of bass and pike along our docks only a couple walleye.

• 3 weeks later...

A good place to start would be trolling from the DNR station near state st bridge up stream to the condos......rapalas

Just follow the other boats, should be a good place to start.....

Good luck.