EPA asks LMC more questions about ash discharges

News

After allowing Lake Michigan Carferry to apply for an individual permit for coal ash discharge from the SS Badger, the U.S. EPA followed up recently with specific questions about the discharge. The SS Badger is the last coal-fired steamship operating on the Great Lakes.

More...

I can't believe that the epa would allow this practice to continue if they do then why not declare all of the coal fired power plants " Historic " and allow them to continue to pollute the hell out of our enviroment.

Fishy, with all due respect, you only have to look at the last 150 years of carferries operating with coal fired engines/discharges to answer the obvious questions of pollution and toxins to the Great Lakes and get the same answer now, AINT SO PAL! IT actually purifies the waters, just like cigarettes charcoal filtering did in the day. Actually this stuff sinks to the bottom, and becomes fertilizer for the forage of species, and expands into the environment for the good, not the bad, as some pretentious liberals would have you believe. READ THE SCIENCE FIRST! Not the PROPAGANDA! Just consider this, if it was so BAD then why haven't the Great Lakes already collapsed as a result of this age long tradition? Think first, act and speak after the fact. Thanks.

I have read the science and fly ash contains mercury and if you read the fish advisories you will see mercury listed as a hazardous compound.I have had a boat slipped in Ludington for over the last 30 years and have seen the damage the fly ash does to my personel property as well as all of the surrounding homes. If you believe that for one mans personel wealth retention to be placed ahead of the good all the people in the great lakes why not let him store the harmless ash at your home. I'm not a liberal in any sense but how ignorant as responsable human beings do we have to be to keep destroying our enviroment , and its not as if they don't have a alternative to dispose of the ash it's why bother if someome will continue to allow you to dump your crap on someone else.