U.S. waterways crackdown makes waves with boaters

News

i dont go into canada waters, but i think this whole thing is a boat load of crap. as long as the boats dont go to shore they should be left alone. it is just some power happy idiots on both sides overstepping there powers. just my opinion.

sherman

sounds like a little payback for the uncalled for harassment and extortion that Canadian Customs/Border Patrol pulled on a number of US boaters on Lake O last season.

And yes, it is a huge load of crap, regardless of jurisdiction pulling it.

Tim

sounds like a little payback for the uncalled for harassment and extortion that Canadian Customs/Border Patrol pulled on a number of US boaters on Lake O last season.

And yes, it is a huge load of crap, regardless of jurisdiction pulling it.

Tim

Yep is is payback from last season it sounds like.

Last weekend I attended a seminar @ Andersons Probait in Pt. Huron. One of the topics was border crossing presented by the US Border Patrol. Being that I do fish a few times a year in Pt Huron and hearing of the horror stories last year on Lk. O it only made sense to attend this one. The law for Canada is: you must call in if you plan on fishing Canadian waters or going ashore in Canada. If you are traveling from point A to point B in the US and cross into Canadian waters doing so there is no need to call in as long as you do not stop or fish in those waters. When calling in to fish Canadian waters you may still be asked to report to Port x for inspection if the Canadian authorities deem so, if not you may continue on to fish and no requirement to call back in to US when you return as long as you did not go ashore in Canada. Now the catch here is that if you do have to report to the Canadian port for inspection you have now landed in Canada and are subject to report back to the US upon return.

So it seems the US now has the same requirements for the Canadians doing the same on US waters. Fair is fair. Either way it seems like too much bs for me just to fish across the line and is not worth the hassle.