Flint show Question

I was told that the show really isn't worth going to. Is there several tackle vendors that go to this show? The guy that told me said he was through the show in less than an hour and was utterly disappointed after driving two hours to get there.

I have been to the Birch Run show in the past and found plenty there. I don't think it's as big as GR or Novi, and maybe that's you friend was comparing it to. In the past I have spent a few hrs there.:)

Thats what i was thinking he was comparing it to GR. I like some of the smaller shows as Showspan has priced out the little shops and individuals making a couple products. Sometimes you get some great things from those type places. We went down to the small show in monroe and one of the charter captains came up with a release saver for your big boards if your line breaks. He is in brest bay where i dock for walleye fishing. These things work sweet and for 15 bucks a piece are well worth the money. Like him though he couldn't afford to go to a showspan show for the little money he is making off these things. I'll post a pick of them on monday when i get home.

I'm kind of neutral on the whole show thing. I think you have to view it as a winter cabin fever entertainment event. I was disappointed at the last Birch Run show I went two several years ago after enjoying it for a few years. The same goes for boat shows. I'm guessing there's too much expense to move all that gear in there and then everyone expects bargain pricing. I can see why it's not the best thing for vendors. On the buyer side, there's limited inventory and a mob of people. The item of interest that you can't get otherwise, are the teaching seminars. So, it all depends on your definition of "worth". You'll use up any bargain savings in fuel and admission costs. No question that it's a good environment to get the blood flowing again.

Oh i really like small shows to, we got a set of net bungys at the mason show. Great product, could use better material. Used them all last year with great success, alot better than the old clip in net. I was debating on going to the Birch run show, with gas 3.99, ill wait and save it for GR where i can get in free

I cant say for sure but have heard alot of companies have cut back on shows this year. Hotels, gas, food , etc plus booth cost. A booth at Grand Rapids is over a grand. Add cost for carpet, a chair, electric and your just spreading the product, not making money. BW

I agree with jay, I would be surprised if this show is around much longer. I had to force myself to be in there more than an hour. Charging what they do though for a table, I can see why companies aren't attending. When I first started going to Birch Run even the top level was full. I did pick up a couple of paddles from Big Weenie.

I was at the show in 2010 and was going to go this year. Fridays weather forecast kept me home. I usually hole up over the weekends. Thanks for the input on the show. It must have slipped a ton in the last few years. I used to spend an hour or better just looking at the boats. The tackle vendors always seemed to have some deals as well as tips for their products. I'd always run into a few people I know and a BS session would certainly break out.:) The steelheaders would always have some fish cooking for a lil snack.

I was there last night. I bought a few silver streak spoons from Wolverine. I also bought three paddle fly combos from big weenie along with one of their flies where the proceeds went to animal rescue. Without big weenie I would have been very disappointed.

Brandon