No feed back steering?

I have an older steering unit on my boat, and whenever I leave the helm the boat turns rather drastically, With fishing with only two on the boat it looks like we are dancing when landing a king. My question is would the Teleflex NFB type steering units help to eliminate this?

thanks!

Is it from the steering or is it from your weight moving around in the boat? I take my cousin fishing with me who is a teenager. Who weighs 100 pounds soaking wet. We switch positions we end up going in a circle. AND! its not from him turning us in a circle.

it will stop the wheel from turning freely on its own but will make the steering a little more stiff.you will see the diffrence after a long day at the wheel.if you are changing the steering and can afford it i would go to hydraulic its a lot more comfortable in my opinion.

the answer to your question is yes. it will stop the wheel from turning freely. i have a 15 ft tri hull open bow with a 115 merc inline 6. and i seen these kits on ebay, they had everything in them. a new cable which is what i needed and the helm station. i only paid like 150.00 for the kit. but i get no feed back at all from the motor. they do steer just alittle stiffer than the standard steering, but it is well worth the effort. we do alot of trolling on our local lake. and it works great for us. if youre like me you just couldnt see putting out the money for hyd steering. i think you will be happy with the no feed back steering. if you get it and dont like it, you can blame it on me,LOL just say that darn sherman51 told me to get it,LOL. please let us know how things work out for you.

sherman

yea, if my big boat didnt have power steering on it i would convert it over to the nfb steering. and i was wrong about what i paid for my kit. it was 249.00 when i bought it off ebay, but it came with a new 12 ft cable and a new nfb helm and a new steering wheel. i bought the teleflex kit, they are just alittle higher now. but im sure there still alot cheaper than buying them at a marina.

and i had never changed out the cables or helms before. but with the instructions it was an easy task. the only real problem i ran into was my hole for the helm station wasnt big enough for the new one. so i had to buy a large hole say at lowes and drill my hole alittle bigger. but my little tri hull is like a 76 model. you might not run into this problem. i just went to ebay and typed in steering cable nfb and found what i wanted. good luck.

sherman

Oh I would love to jump up another 5 feet, (Albemarle 247 :o) but I would have to live in it! appreciate the insight!

i think he was talking to me about a bigger boat, because i posted about my 15 ft tri hull. but i also have a 21 ft cobia and then i have a 28 ft x 10 ft wide sea ray amberjack that im going to sell this spring. right now it has a broken drivers seat and one engine lost spark last fall. as soon as i get those things fixed its going up for sale. and im going to sell her cheap. she has been upgraded with twin 4.3 mpi v6,s and it has a brand new trailer that the dealer cost on the trailer was 4000.00. it has 2 new alternators 1 new starter 1 new raw water pump 2 new belts and a spare belt and 2 new 4 blade 20 p props. and im only going to try and get around 7000.00 for her without my fishing gear. it will be a steal for anyone wanting to get into a big water boat.

sherman

the answer to your question is yes. it will stop the wheel from turning freely. i have a 15 ft tri hull open bow with a 115 merc inline 6. and i seen these kits on ebay, they had everything in them. a new cable which is what i needed and the helm station. i only paid like 150.00 for the kit. but i get no feed back at all from the motor. they do steer just alittle stiffer than the standard steering, but it is well worth the effort. we do alot of trolling on our local lake. and it works great for us. if youre like me you just couldnt see putting out the money for hyd steering. i think you will be happy with the no feed back steering. if you get it and dont like it, you can blame it on me,LOL just say that darn sherman51 told me to get it,LOL. please let us know how things work out for you.

sherman

i did find one teleflex kit on ebay for 169.00 for everything but the steering wheel. some of the kits even come with a new wheel. but what i did was bought the kit then bought a new wheel, because i had found a nice ss 16" wheel i wanted. but if you want more info on this one thats 169.00 just pm me and i,ll give you the info you need to see it.

sherman