Copper

mriversinco

Hi,

I'm looking at finally adding a copper setup to my arsenal. I just bought one of the upgraded Okuma 55's from Tuna Toms, and planning on finding one of my poles that have some bigger eyes. I don't have any copper wire and wanted to see if anyone out there had 300' or so of 45 pound they'd sell me since I'd rather not buy a whole big roll of it for my first setup.

If I do have to buy, do you recommend blood run or torpedo to get it from and why?

Thanks

Ok, so maybe I should change my question. I've got one setup to start with copper. I typically run 2 riggers and couple of dipseys then a 5,7,and full core of lead. If I mainly fish st. joe, holland, port sheldon, muskegon, and whitehall. What would be my best setup for the first copper (32 or 45) and length?

Thanks

Ok, so maybe I should change my question. I've got one setup to start with copper. I typically run 2 riggers and couple of dipseys then a 5,7,and full core of lead. If I mainly fish st. joe, holland, port sheldon, muskegon, and whitehall. What would be my best setup for the first copper (32 or 45) and length?

Thanks

300 feet of 45lb Bloodrun copper.

If you have not used copper line before I'd strongly recommend buying new copper line and do as the other guys have said buy the Blood Run or Howie Super Copper line that are silver plated and much softer and therefore will have less memory.

Nothing will turn you away from using copper faster than a bad bird's net/backlash. Make sure the reel spool tension is set so the line doesn't fee spool too easily.

30# copper is much easier to use for the first timer.

outdoorsman carries blood run in 45 and 32 super. take it in there and they can set up what ever you decide to go with. I would stay away from howies. I had nothing but problems from howies. I currently use opti tackle and when i finally run out i am going to make the switch to either morgans super copper or blood run in 45 lb.

Did well on 300' of the 45lb out of Holland last summer and would recommend Blood Run over the other brands. A first time might want to use 32lb as its a little easier to deal with on tiring knots and at 32lb sinks about 10' feet down for every 50'. If you fish near a lot of other boats 45lb sinks quicker and you can run closer to the boat.

If you're still in Rockford, take a drive over to the Outdoorsman in Jenison. They carry the bloodrun at a very fair/good price.

I would spool a 300' of 45# for your setup, for the ports mentioned.

I third the outdoorsman. & 300 ft mark.

I stated with two of the 55L. 300 reg copper, one was last seen attached to a Viking. So it is refine with 32 super copper.

Thanks

250' of 32# will work nice early summer, but 350' 32# for late summer.

The 250' will go about 50' down, and the 350' will go about 70' down. (350 should fill that cv55)

Go see Aaron at Lakeshore tackle in Saugatuck ( or Outdoorsman) have them spool on 350' of 32#. (Aaron sells it by the foot)

When you get home take 100' off. Next summer when the fish get deep, then add that 100' back on. Splicing copper is a pc of cake.

It is done like this.

IMG_9943.jpgIMG_9945.jpg

I like Morgans Super Copper- run 300' of the 45lb and do well out of Muskegon

Ditto. Plus, watch out for the haywire twist mend on the super copper- had a few fail where it wasn't failing with normal copper. I mend with haywire twists on a small swivel with shrink tubing- never failed me.

250' of 32# will work nice early summer, but 350' 32# for late summer.

The 250' will go about 50' down, and the 350' will go about 70' down. (350 should fill that cv55)

Go see Aaron at Lakeshore tackle in Saugatuck ( or Outdoorsman) have them spool on 350' of 32#. (Aaron sells it by the foot)

When you get home take 100' off. Next summer when the fish get deep, then add that 100' back on. Splicing copper is a pc of cake.

It is done like this.

IMG_9943.jpgIMG_9945.jpg

This is exactly the way I do it, and have never had any issues.:)