Big lures for salmon and trout

Killin' It

Tried one out of St. Joe last May or so. I thought it would work since we were taking fish with Rapala's and such, in fact my best bait at the time was a large husky jerk. Ran it for 2 or 3 hours at various depths and didn't get a bite. Maybe try again this year, and maybe it was a speed thing but I won't count on it producing.

I would think that would work. Like I said, my hottest bait that day was a x14 husky jerk which is about 6" I think. I tried a Sebile bait I had that was about the same length but triple jointed. No takers but I still think my logic was ok. Looking back, maybe the triple joint needed a slower speed. I think the jointed x rap shouldn't be any more speed intolerant than a j11 or j13 rapala which are hot early in the year too.

I have had limited sucsess with magnum and over-sized baits.But they most always work when the bait fish are large.I belive lure size should match the major portion of the alwife in the area. Check out the stomic contints of the fish at the cleaning table,it's always a good place to start when fishing a new port, or when it's been a while sence you were out last.

I have had limited sucsess with magnum and over-sized baits.But they most always work when the bait fish are large.I belive lure size should match the major portion of the alwife in the area. Check out the stomic contints of the fish at the cleaning table,it's always a good place to start when fishing a new port, or when it's been a while sence you were out last.
The fish do not lie.

I run bobmer long As, 5-6 in rapalas and the such in mid to late summer on high lines with good success. One of the best baits we use if you can find them are the old Believer(http://www.driftertackle.com/products/believer.php) musky lures in the 5 inch size. They got bought out years ago and quit making the 3-5 inch sizes. i haven't tried the new 6 in size. 8 years ago we took money in the ludington tourney with a bright orange with chartruese on a ten color with a 29 lb king off the bath house. Heres a pic of that fish with my friend holding it up by his four year old son who was a little afraid of the fish.

dads_29_lb_king.jpg

Dave,

I have had good success with large husky jerks for salmon, especially early season. They have a great roll at slow speeds, and a slow rattle to attract fish. Sometimes when it's real slow they will catch fish when nothing else is working. The only problem is they don't last long. They don't stand up real well to the hurt a big salmon can put on them.

Chris