Anyone hunt hillsdale county?

phishtix

if your hunting private land. it depends on how many people are hunting on the lands of the surrounding farmers. On one of my Dads friends farms there was virtually no pressure as it was surrounded by other private land that the farmers didn't allow many people on the land. If it near the state land hold on to your hat and duck. On the other farm the one side bordered state land and knowone hunted that side as there were a mess of hunters on the state land. the good thing about having all the hunters on the state land was it really got the deer moving. We saw more deer on that land as all the hunters moving around moved the deer they did't just lay down during the day like the other farm.

We're quite a ways from the state game area. But I see a lot of blinds on all the farms feilds. Some big tower blinds. I get the feeling a lot of hunting goes on. Doesn't seem like I'm seeing many deer either. I'm hoping its just cause its winter and their all holding tight. The land looks good though. Lots of food sources with good to medium cover.

Trust me there are lots of deer throughout that county, and some huge racks. I killed a lot of deer out there when i was younger. Some of the farmers do have their extended families hunt there farms. The farmers in that are just don't let anyone that asks hunt on their land. It is a very difficult area to get permission. On my dads friend near Jerome there were tons of blinds. the only one that hunted it were the land owner his brother and his son. Plus My dad and me. All the blinds were theirs.

I was reading the DNR report for the area. It says the number of deer is about 32 per square mile. But I don't believe they really know. Thats just their guess using all their fancy data.

Hopefully your right and theres some nice bucks. I don't even care so much if I get one. I just want to see some.

Thanks for the info :thumb:

I was reading the DNR report for the area. It says the number of deer is about 32 per square mile. But I don't believe they really know. Thats just their guess using all their fancy data.

Hopefully your right and theres some nice bucks. I don't even care so much if I get one. I just want to see some.

Thanks for the info :thumb:

fancy data is right.... Over here in WI the DNR counts the cement lawn deer twice! Just because they dont move as fast as the other deer. :D