It depends on the day Frank. Some days you bring em up and just the jighead is sticking out. Others theyre nipping and have just the stinger. Plus with the amount of body behind the main hook, its just too much dangling for my liking. I even cut a half inch off or so to shorten the bait up a bit. Leaves the stinger right even with the tail. I leave the stinger dangle.

Thanks Bomber. I used to jig the rivers quite regularly even after work. We usually used grub tails and stingers weren't necessary. Some times we would tip them with a piece of crawler or minnow head. Chartreuse was always good and another favorite of mine was pink and white combo. When they are in the river post and pre spawn they will smack the heck out of anything. If the getting wasn't so good in the Summer months I'd probably get back into it.:) Back then we'd seldom hook any juveniles. Most were 3# plus. Here's a pic of my former rig that is still in the family.

van_and_boat_early_90s.jpg

Just made my first trip to the saginaw yesterday. It was also the first time for a couple of us Jigging for walleye, with 4 of us fishing we boated somewhere upwards of 120 to get 9 keepers and probably saw 800 or more being sought "UNBELIEVABLE"

We went back today but got started about 9 as we had about 2hr drive. We fished about 3-4 hours and never saw one fish caught tried from the creek/bridge at 13 (forgot the name) and the tittabawasee. My how much of a difference 1 day can make with the run off making it down alot of grass and wood and very muddy

Can't complain, will hopefully be able to get back before it closes hopefully it will clear by later next week

Good Fishing,

Troy

Troy, All they have to do is open the Sanford Dam and Swoosh. This and the other tributaries all add to the water clarity and current. The Saginaw River is the neck of a huge funnel. It's amazing the number of square miles in it's watershed. :)

I'm glad you managed a few yesterday. :thumb:

We had a ton of rain overnight here Frank, so you know what that does to the river. A few days and itll be right back on track once the runoff is gone and the water clears up and the debris is gone.

Nice job on the fish Troy. Phenomenol fishery we have here isnt it.

Adam,

I was in total awe!!! Unbelievable how many fish that were caught on last Thursday to say I was impressed would be an understatement.

Does the river always hold good numbers year round or is this year special because of the wild winter we have had?

If everyting comes together i am hoping to come back over Thursday or Friday.

Good Fishing,

Troy

Troy, The walleye are on a mission right now. The river will hold a few fish year around but the bulk of the fish in the rivers now are there for spawning. After April the bulk of the fish will be in the Bay. Gotta Luv what we all have going.:)

Frank,

I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure. I'm hoping to have but boat rigged up to go out on the bay this year need to get some rod holders and I'll be ready to roll!! Thanks for the reply.

Good Fishing,

Troy

hey there fellas thinking about heading over from the west side saturday for a day of fun fishing never fished the river before was woundering if 1/2 oz jig was the normal and what would be a good launch use sounds like theres an outing going on some where on the river hows the water clarity any help would be great thanks guys

The water is and will be fast and stained. Lot of run off right now. It probably wouldn't hurt to have some heavier jigs as well as the 1/2 oz.

At times I have used 1/8 and 1/4 in shallow slack water. Conditions probably will be tough. MS is having a get together at the Zilwaukee Launch so that will be crowded. Here is a link to a map that shows launches etc. Zoom in on the areas.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=101921521052446999541.00047cb352558f8ddd845&ll=43.587354,-83.746033&spn=0.424737,1.234589&t=h&z=10

thanks frank just wanted to say i really enjoy all of your fishing reports you must know the bay like the back of your hand thank again

Thanks Chad. I didn't fish as much as normal last year because of a shoulder injury. Going to try and make up for some lost time this year.:) I just love to be out there and learn a lot from the many good people I fish with.