Flashers, dodgers, paddles

Slacker

Lots of different patterns work. If you are just starting out cant go wrong with basics such as white, green chartreuse attractors with aqua, whites, green crinkle, little boy blue flies. Those are probably the "base" colors and you can expand off of that.

There are several posts on this topic on GLF webiste.

If you do a search and look for flasher, flies, leader length, etc you'll find some good discussion.

Get yourself some 11" white paddles for your riggers and run anything green (fly) behind them.

Also get some mountain dew spin doctors with yellow or green flies. Can't go wrong with these especially at certain times of the year.

As far as dodger, get some basic 8" silver (trash cans) and run peanuts behind them for lakers. Most guys that run laker programs end up going through a dozen+ a year (because of the zeebs breaking them off).

Leader lengths can vary but usually 2 to 4 times the length of the flasher or dodger. Keep in mind that flies and squid have no action on their own. The shorter the leader the more action imparted on the bait. Anything can be run behind a dodger or flasher including spoons and plugs. Most fishermen will run meat, flies, or squid behind them.:)

dont be afraid of long leads either... last year i ran a 11' pearl paddle with a 54" leader and chapmenge fly with gold beads, we tied on the fly after a cold front passed, skys cleared and the wind got a little brisk...fish turned off. it was already a little slow, but it really got slow after the front passed, so we decided to go out of the box...

we traced the bottom in 100 fow with a rigger, i bumped bottom then raised a little, bumped bottom again, and figured we had about 10' blow back, so i proceeded to work the rigger and keep it as close to the bottom as comfort would allow....first time it went off we thought we were dragging bottom, it turned out to be a chunky rainbow...yes 100 feet down in 100 feet of water...second time it went off it was a chunky coho.....go figure, those were the last two fish of the trip at the last hour...bonus fish

I heard that the capt kept that flasher fly combo wrapped up in stroage and was deployed in the same tracing manner whenever the bite slowed, and it ussually caught fish...

my point, when things are snapping short leads will work, but when it slows go long and deep... learn to tie a snell and adjust leader lengths on the fly if you need

This is by no means a rock solid plan for choosing a flasher but it works most days.

Use 8" Flashers like Spin Doctors or Pro-Trol.

Use the 10" and 11" Flashers down deep.

Orange with orange crush tape in the top 35 FOW. Any color fly really, green crinkle is always good.

Chartreuse or Mountain Dew with glow cracked ice tape in the top 50 FOW. Green crinkle flies.

Green with glow cracked ice tape in the 30 to 50 FOW range. Green crinkle and white or LLB and later in the year double aqua.

White with glow cracked ice tape below 50 FOW. Green crinkle flies high, LLB with or without glow and white with or without glow.

Just start with 24" lengths for flies measured from the tip of the loop to the bend of the last hook. Use a stiff leader like a 40 or 50 # flourocarbon or Triplefish.

11inch White protroll with crush tape with rapture oceana

11inch Black with Slick glow tape with rapture Oceana is always HOT!

8inch Stinger prochip flashers in Super frog, NBK, yellow killer with Rapture hypnotist.

8inch Stinger prochip flasher in Blue killer with Rapture Blue Hypnotist

8inch Stinger prochip flasher in blue edge with Rapture Last supper

If thats Kens stuff I think we would see a beer on the table. We have a lot of great flasher big paddle combos on our site and will have them at the Birch Run and Grand Rapids shows. We have them in combos because we tie those with a long fluorocarbon leader. Guys will run them 48 to 54 inch alot of the times. If you buy off the rack flies from anyone you are not going to have the long leader and not in fluorocarbon which we think will make a differance. Stop and talk with the guys that run these all the time. Thanks guys, BW

I agree with bigweenie all of the flies I purchase I end up changing the leaders over to fluorocarbon so why not just purchase them with the right leaders and hooks from the start.I plan on picking up some of bw rigs at birch run great looking flies.and meat rigs.

Nailer,

The glow blue cracked ice 11" Big Weenie paddle in your first photo is one of my favorites. Try throwing a BW Rubber Poofster Fly on that and run it on your high diver 200-225 back for the summer kings. It was dynamite for me

Nutz

Tod, thanks for adding that. That is one of the paddles that I have not found a good fly for yet. I use the poofster on the white paddle with great results.

If thats Kens stuff I think we would see a beer on the table. BW

Gary, I cleaned the empties away before the shot was taken. :)

Yuck it up you two others, your day is coming.

Tod, thanks for adding that. That is one of the paddles that I have not found a good fly for yet. I use the poofster on the white paddle with great results.

Gary, I cleaned the empties away before the shot was taken. :)

Yuck it up you two others, your day is coming.

come on, you had to hide the empties, just poking at you kenny

I've be known to take one for the teem now and then. Here is how it should/normally looks.

1D2N0165.jpg

Gary I have my list of flies I need, but I'm saving it till the Grand Rapids show. I look forward to seeing Karen, and the gang there.

• 2 weeks later...