Anyone own a Sylvan 2300 Offshore?

They are rivited

three guys over on the salmon unlimited indiana club had them

larry trepack wildcat

john warren kingseeker

brian still has one cant remember his boat name just this second

great fishing platforms lot of room boat is real similar to starcraft islander

not a hard core tournament machine if thats what you are looking for if you run them hard in rough water things start comming loose if you dont keep up with keeping everything tight it turns into big problems especially the few out there that have the V6 motors V8 was just more than the boat ever should have had in it

its a light boat dont need a big motor the 470 190 hp 4 cylinder was about the perfect motor for this boat they tow around easy with a 1/2t pick up

Frank, Wasn't the 470 Mercruiser engine Mercruiser's problem step child? I know they were a Mercruiser only engine with an aluminum block and a Ford Big Block cast iron head. I know some boaters that had boat loads of problems with these. I have heard that the re-manufactured blocks are better than the originals. I'm not referring to someone rebuilding them but a truly re-manufactured engine. I side stepped a few boats that had this engine. I may have been wrong. Mercruiser now uses the 4.3 V6 instead of the 470s. I know you have far more experience than most on marine engines. Could you share your thoughts on this big bore long stroke 4cyl engine. Thanks for all the great information you provide us.

I think the 470 mercs were basically the old iron duke 4 cylinder. I've had a couple of them, great fuel sippers that never run great but they always run. I used to beat the snot out of mine and they always lived to run another day. Best of luck with a new boat...

I think the 470 mercs were basically the old iron duke 4 cylinder. I've had a couple of them, great fuel sippers that never run great but they always run. I used to beat the snot out of mine and they always lived to run another day. Best of luck with a new boat...

Jason,

The 4 cyl Dukes you are referring to are the 2.5 and 3.0L GM engines. They are real tough and the 3.0 is still used to this day. The 470s were a total Mercruiser design, and didn't even resemble the 2.5 and 3.0L engines :)

Mercruiser 470: Mercruiser wanted an inexpensive way to add more power and came up with their own cast aluminum block. This block was based on the dimensions of a Big Block Ford V8 but with Mercs they were just in line 4 cyl engines. Merc used some of Fords parts in these engines, but many parts were Merc only and expensive. At least in the beginning they used an outboard charging system that was troublesome. They also had some cooling problems. As in anything some of these problems may have been owner neglect. I guess I heard timing chains were another Achilles Heel. These engines were not near as durable as the 4 cyl GM Dukes. I looked at a few boats that had this engine. One of them the engine was a basket case. A friend told me to steer clear of the 470s so I did. :) These engine did have a lot of torque and a quite a bit more hp than the 3.0L engines. :)

Thanks Frank, I think a lot of the parts on mine were interchangeable with standard GM parts but the displacement was way up there for a 4 cylinder (I want to say almost 3.7- 4.0 liters). I for some reason thought they were basically gm marine 4 poppers with merc stickers.

Any boat you look at, look at it a few times, it's amazing what people do to these things!

I got my 1998 Offshore 2300 early last spring.

I love that boat!

I had a Starcraft Islander before that for a short time.

I like Islanders too, don't get me wrong but I like the Offshore better. I've spent some time in 3 different Islanders now so... My Offshore sets heavier in the water, it's a little deeper boat. They don't get blown around as much. The Islander will run in a heave chop a bit smoother but doesn't troll as nice in my opinion. If I keep the 80 gallon gas tank full it rides much nicer. I can fit a 9' rod in the cabin without braking it down. Tons of room to fish. I've fished with 5 guys and still had room for more. Not bad for a trailer-able boat in my opinion.

Mine is a 6 cylinder 4.3L MurCruiser. It tops out at about 40 on flat water and not too bad on gas either.

If you've had the chance to fish in an Islander and an Offshore too, I'm sure you would choose the Offshore.

Now all you have to do is get past all the negative experiences others have had with Sylvan.

That can be tough in my opinion. I struggled with it myself but I'm very glad I have my Offshore.

No regrets! Knock On Wood!!!

The Thompson I owned had a 470 Merc in it. Nice running motor, only problem is they used a water cooled voltage regulator, I was fishing one day and the water pump did not flow enough water through regulator and it caught on fire, good thing I had a fire extinguisher on board. That thing went up like a roman candle, cost $1,000.00 to get repaired. They used a closed cooling system because of the aluminum block.

You might want to check into a Crestliner Sabre, very similar boat but no rivets hull is all welded. Of course Im biased but I like the Crestliner alittle better, its a nice deep boat and has good storage for all your fishing gear.