Copper

jimcr

Ok guys for you that use copper , 30 lb or 45 lb and why.

I bought 1000 ft of 32 lb copper and I hear that I should have bought 45 lb . and I am curious what works for you and why . Should I abandon the 32 lb for 45lb ? Is there a big difference?

Some guys love the 32 lb as it is easier to deal with. You do have to have more out to reach the same depth as 45 lb which means more cranking it back in also. It is a little heavier than lead core so it does get a little deeper than lead core. I personally like the 45 to get deep quicker. I use plain opti copper as it has a tighter twist like the atomic and morgans. When i finally get through what i have i might try the super copper, but i stilll have like 1000 ft left. I know Ken, Josh and Terry swear by the 32 lb blood run copper. I really think it is more of a personal thing with what you are trying to achieve and the time you want to spend learning it. If you take the time with 45lb, set the reel right and pay attention to what you are doing, it really isn't too much more difficult to deal with but the 32 does pay out more like lead core making it easier for some.

Personally the only copper rod I have is a 300' 45# Bloodrun, all my other long lines are lead. I don't have too many problems with it, but if you aren't careful when you are first letting it out, you can end up with some big birdsnests. I have also used 32# bloodrun, and have caught plenty of fish on it and it is easier to use. If I was in your position, I would just use what you have because there are plenty of people that have proven it catches fish.

I have 45lb copper to get down deep. I have a 350, 300, 250, and 200. I still have a huge spool of leadcore to use up so I use that for a 10 color, 5 color, and 3 color. Once the leadcore runs out I might think about replacing it with 32lb but until then I'll just use leadcore.

ive actually been switching out my 45# with 32#.you can get deeper than core with the same length of copper..it pays out as well as lead and its way more user friendly than you may think..if it were me i would make a 150 200 250 and a 300 from youre 1000 footer of 32#.taking the rest of the spool and making a 100 ft wont be regretted either..i definatly wouldnt abandon it

my last line purchase was 45# copper and a ton of braid, i went with the 45# copper vs 32# solely based upon the fact that i already have a ton of lead. my lead will fish the upper column and will use the 45# to strain the middle and lower columns. this was strictly an economic move, overtime i will likely replace my shallow boards with 32# copper as i replace the lead core.

if you want to use the 32# copper to get down deeper, attach a 4-6 oz snap weight or a torpedo diver above the copper and pay out line .... refer to a dive chart to figure out how much line and weight for what depth... keep in mind a weight will absorb most of the lure surge in rough water

in the end if you have limited rods/reels, 32# copper with weights is a good compromise to maximize options and adapt with the changing daylight

I am on my phone but when I get a chance I can answer with mores detail.

Jim, I do not think you will be disappointed with the 32lb. 300 of 32lb will still achieve a greater depth than a 10 color. I fish both 32 and 45 and very little leadcore. As far as people saying you made the wrong choice, you have to take into consideration that I may be the only "west sided" using 32lb. There are a lot of very very good fisherman in our area that would say not to bother with 32lb copper. It's a different technique that is not well received in Wisconsin. I have an article I will post when I get a chance about copper

I dont know how many set ups you have or want to have on board. Personally I dont use the 32# CU because it's will get you the same depth as leadcore, however there are days where the CU is on fire and the leadcore doesnt get touched.

If you want buy a 300' spool of 45# CU and experiment. I use CU when I want to get deeper. I have three copper combos on board a 125', 225', and a 300'. I personally use Opti, I had bad luck with the Howie copper. I recommend tying up using the haywire twist and let it out SLOWLY!

Haven't tried 32# yet, however, the bloodrun 45# is the smoothest I've used. Tried a few other brands, and the blood run is what I'll stick with. I over looked the 32# for the simple fact that the 45# will take you deeper with less line out. However, I have also been informed that with the 32# lures are running slightly different, can't confirm nor deny this as it was something that another person with more experience with the 2 different weights of line said.

http://www.woods-n-waternews.com/Articles-i-2010-09-01-205787.112113_Whopper_Stopper_Copper.html

its a couple years old but a good read on copper.

fishing nearly all copper last year, 32lb in place of leadcore and 45lb in 300-450 segments, I can not remember a single instance where my setups were out fished by someone else purely because I did not have leadcore out. I am more convinced that 32lb copper will be closer in the water column to 45lb copper than to leadcore. When others full cores were firing, my 200 and 250 were firing.

in my experimenting, i also ran a while last season with a 250 32lb running inside, same side as a 10 color with no issues. That right there makes me certain the 32lb does actually run deeper than leadcore.

I use 45# copper I have 2 300' rigs and 2 200' rigs I still run 10 color lead but never when I am running the 200 copper. 45# copper with 300' in the water at 2.5 mph troll speed will get you down around 80' I slow down for mid summer and have drug bottom in 100 with that rig. the 200 will get down around 50' too close to the 10 color lead for me.

32 do's not run at the same sink rate as lead core, for instence, 10 colors or lead core runs on average of 40 ft, this is a length of 300 ft, to acheive the same 40 ft in depth with 32 lb copper you need to run 200 ft of line.

And to get that in 45 lb copper you only need 150.ft of line out.

So in my opinion why would you want to run 45 lb copper that is a little less forgiveing to save 50 ft on of cranking, and take the greater risk of haveing a issue.

I have 12 rods on the DOG all spooled with 32 and love it for the ease.

Just my 2 cents.

http://www.woods-n-waternews.com/Articles-i-2010-09-01-205787.112113_Whopper_Stopper_Copper.html

its a couple years old but a good read on copper.

fishing nearly all copper last year, 32lb in place of leadcore and 45lb in 300-450 segments, I can not remember a single instance where my setups were out fished by someone else purely because I did not have leadcore out. I am more convinced that 32lb copper will be closer in the water column to 45lb copper than to leadcore. When others full cores were firing, my 200 and 250 were firing.

in my experimenting, i also ran a while last season with a 250 32lb running inside, same side as a 10 color with no issues. That right there makes me certain the 32lb does actually run deeper than leadcore.

Thanks Josh , a very well written article . Makes more scene to me now, and I should be fine with the Bloodrun 32lb copper I bought off your site.

32 do's not run at the same sink rate as lead core, for instence, 10 colors or lead core runs on average of 40 ft, this is a length of 300 ft, to acheive the same 40 ft in depth with 32 lb copper you need to run 200 ft of line.

And to get that in 45 lb copper you only need 150.ft of line out.

So in my opinion why would you want to run 45 lb copper that is a little less forgiveing to save 50 ft on of cranking, and take the greater risk of haveing a issue.

I have 12 rods on the DOG all spooled with 32 and love it for the ease.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks , here is the dive curve from Bloodrun on there copper.

32# Super Copper (.030 in diameter)

After checking out the dive curves means I am right where I want to be.

25′ copper – 5 feet down

50′ copper – 10 feet down

75′ copper – 15 feet down

100′ copper – 20 feet down

150′ copper – 30 feet down

200′ copper – 40 feet down

250′ copper – 50 feet down

300′ copper – 60 feet down

350′ copper – 70 feet down

400′ copper – 80 feet down

450′ copper – 90 feet down

500′ copper – 100 feet down

550′ copper – 110 feet down

600′ copper – 120 feet down

45# Super Copper (.038 in diameter)

400′ copper – 90 feet down

500′ copper – 110 feet down

600′ copper – 135 feet down

700′ copper – 150 feet down

800′ copper – 165 feet down

900′ copper – 180 feet down

1000′ copper – 200 feet down

Jim the 32# will work just fine for you. I have 8 reels set up with 32# and 4 reels set up with 45#. We use the 32# down to 60', then switch to 45#.

It seams the 32# has not taken a stronghold in Wisconsin waters yet?

Are the fish there just deeper?

32# is easier to let out, reel in, and it goes through the eyelets/ level wind guide better.

I just don't find any use for 32#, I run all 45# in different segments and find it easy to work with. Why run longer lengths if you don't have to, I find mysself in some tight areas and want to run copper but need it as short as possible. My 100,150,200,250,300'ers work well.

I just don't find any use for 32#, I run all 45# in different segments and find it easy to work with. Why run longer lengths if you don't have to, I find mysself in some tight areas and want to run copper but need it as short as possible. My 100,150,200,250,300'ers work well.

Everyone has their preference, and we have both sizes of copper for each group of guys. Big advantage on 32lb is

1) dive curves easy to remember!

2) small knots pass through small levelwinds

3) fits well on smaller reels

4) More fun catching top surface coho, steel, brown on smaller dia

5) More user friendly and forgiving than 45lb. We refer to 45lb as cable..its big!

6) Less steep of a angle entry into water, more like a long gradual drop into the water column, stealth ala leadcore

7) Fishes completely different than leadcore, tracks straight behind boat (all coppers) rather than snaking with current like core does, which is sometimes undesireable.

45lb is great when

1) You have a need to reach very deep depths

2) Have big reels with big capacity for enough backer and big knots

3) You are more experienced with copper, as the heavier cable pays off the reel much differently, and must be watched more closely for back spooling because the cable is rubbing against the levelwind and line guides which causes the line to "catch" and backspool. Always use your clicker!

We own the company, we fish all 32lb on our personal charter boats, right out to 450 foot segments. 45lb is great, we sell a ton of it, guys love it.....but we personally feel the 32lb fishes better overall for a number of reasons listed above..

Either way you wont go wrong, just a matter of preference and most importantly confidence in what you are running in the water. And a big thank you Jimcr for supporting our company and purchasing our products. Please call or email us any time with any questions..we are here to support you and help you be as successful as you can fishing our lines!

Hey DirtyDog, how do you mean less forgiving?

Jason, by forgiveing I mean it is much easier to set a line for some one that dos not have a lot of experince fishing with copper do to it being less ridged than the 45. and you have a lot less chance of it back lashing in the spool if you not paying attention.

I do also have 4 rods with the 45 lb on them ,and they are long ,a pair of 300 and 350s.:)

Jason, by forgiveing I mean it is much easier to set a line for some one that dos not have a lot of experince fishing with copper do to it being less ridged than the 45. and you have a lot less chance of it back lashing in the spool if you not paying attention.

I do also have 4 rods with the 45 lb on them ,and they are long ,a pair of 300 and 350s.:)

I was hoping that's what you meant. I can tell you this, in my experience with Blood Run's 45# I am very happy. Compared to the other brand I was using this stuff is easier and user friendly. With your input about the 32# I imagine using that is a breeze. After spooling my 1st reel with the BRC to try I swapped out my other reels CU with BRC as well.