Free GPS Marine App with depth!

BRIAN0214

Maybe most of you know this does exist, but if you don't, this is a great app. If you own a smart phone and you don't have a fancy gps system on your boat. This app is great and its free!!!! Its called EarthNC Marine. I was stuck 5 miles out when we had that thick fog roll in last year. I could barely see the front of my boat. Without this app I would have never found my way back to my home port of Grand Haven. This does have the depth contour of Lake Michigan too. It even shows the ship wreck that is in 120' foot of water just south of Grand Haven. If you fish stay away from this area. Local divers have attached a buoy that is about 10 feet below the surface and has cause major problems for fisherman.

the earth NC was free when I downloaded it.

I run it on my Droid phone.

it uses the NOAA maps for the great lakes. seems ok.

it will be nice to have a backup GPS just in case I have issues.

I have not used it on the big lake yet as I loaded it this winter.

I downloaded a Navionics ap this winter but it cost $9.99. It shows your position and clearly shows the pier heads and harbor and rivermouth lakes and depth contours. It also shows inland lakes with depth contours. I was looking forward to the inland function when ice fishing but the ice has been shaky in south central Mi all winter. I would not want to rely on a cell phone as my only navigation aid on the big lakes. It would make a nice back up but it is a good idea to have primary GPS on board if you are fishing offshore.

I have the Navionics App for my IPhone. I have used it for ice fishing inland lakes and trolling Lake Erie. I have read elsewhere that the latest updates to the App have not been good, but I have had no issues with them. The biggest issue I have noticed is that this particular one drains your phones battery rapidly.