Holland Whitefish

Idle Time

Yes they are around Holland.

They are safe to eat.

Easiest time to catch them is around Thanksgiving when they come in to spawn. I use a small glow swedish pimple and jig for them. We went up to Whitehall this past year and came home with a whole cooler full in 3 hrs of fishing. I think we kept 19 total, caught over 50. You foul hook like 90% of them when they come in to spawn. They are great eating.

Another way to catch them is on single eggs with a slip sinker setup. I've heard of people catching them all winter if you can get on the piers.

Sorry to burst your bubble but most of the fried whitefish they serve in town is actually alaskan pollok. It's still really good, just not the 'whitefish' that they call it.

The time to catch them is now. Starts in November and goes until it warms up.

You want to make up a bunch of leaders(4-6 pound test). Wrap them around something. Make them difference lengths. 18 inches to 24 inches. One end have a single egg hook. the other end have a size 10 swivel(small). You also want to add a 2nd hook in the middle/more towards the end. Its cold outside retying anything takes 500x longer. You will tangle them the leaders. When they tangle its easier to cut them off & put a new one on then deal with it. Fish also swallow the line. Its easy to just clip on a new leader & keep on trucking. I like to have at least 3 per rod.

As for the main line. 6 pound test. Through the end of a size 10 swivel so the swivel slides freely. That's where you put a pyramid sinker. Buy a few of different sizes 1-3oz's. You want to use the smallest possible but when its wavy you'll need bigger ones. Now after the swivel that slides freely. Put a bead on the line so the swivel doesn't hit the knot. Now tie on a size 10 or so figure 8 swivel on. That's where you connect your leader.

As for the rod. You'll want a longer steelhead 10-12 foot noodle rod. I have used shorter rods that I use for perch and they get the job done. You'll also want to make sure you got a net that can reach the water from the pier. So a 10-12 foot handle.

You can buy single salmon eggs from any bait shop. Get a small separate container(like a chew container) that you can put a few eggs in & garlic scent/mix whatever its called. put 2-3 on a hook.

You can google & read about the whitefish runs in muskegon in november. That's just snaging. Anyone tell you otherwise is stretching the truth. Somehow they think if you snag out of 10 in the mouth instead of by its tail its somehow legit. You can fish from the piers from mid november all winter longer. As long as there isn't ice blocking your line from entering the water & catch whitefish.

Early morning bite is best. Show up an hr or so before sunrise. Busy ports you will need to show up earlier than that to get a spot on the pier. Don't be afraid to fish a port that isn't well known. They come to the piers in schools. If you put 3 rods out(which you should) don't get all excited when you get a triple header & screw up and only get one fish. Its going to happen.

Some piers don't have holes drilled into them. Make sure you know what you need. Some ports you'll need a 5 gallon bucket w/ PVC/rod holders bolted to it. Fill it full of water to weight it down. You'll want to fish towards the ends of the piers. Not near the beach. If you're there first. Look for blood w/ your uv flashlight.

The limit is 12 fish. Any other questions?

You can google & read about the whitefish runs in muskegon in november. That's just snaging. Anyone tell you otherwise is stretching the truth. Somehow they think if you snag out of 10 in the mouth instead of by its tail its somehow legit.

LOL-- If you go there in november the number one thing you will hear people up and down the channel say is: "Oh its hooked RIGHT in the mouth!" ... as the dump it in their cooler. :no::no::no:

LOL-- If you go there in november the number one thing you will hear people up and down the channel say is: "Oh its hooked RIGHT in the mouth!" ... as the dump it in their cooler. :no::no::no:

I just busted out laughing reading the "Oh its hooked RIGHT in the mouth!". I'm surprised the DNR hasn't shut it down yet. I don't know if its the budget concerns of because they're making $ off of writing tickets & or they're worried about the lack of license sales.

If i was in charge of things at the DNR. I'd put 2 guys in muskegon during the month of November & work them all night. Michigan would have so much $$$ from tickets they could get rid of the state sales tax.

I would also install some signs at the allegan dam. Warning everyone to the rules. Tell them how much a fine is. Then I would have an officer in plain clothes show up & balance any shortfalls in the state budget.

I was the only one out on the piers at night in December this year in Holland. Went 0/0, 0/1, and then finally hit it and went 7 for way too many in a couple hours. A net would have been a good idea. Kept a couple hooked in the face and let go the rest. You can tell once you hook up where they are hooked - if they come in pointy end first they don't fight a lot, if they take off they're probably snagged.

If jigging, use a stiff rod so you can stay in contact with the jig. Up - down in about 6" strokes; set the hook hard on any thing out of the ordinary.