What to Run Next to 300' 30# Copper?

I am upgrading to copper this year. I want to run two planer boards on each side of the boat. One will be the copper. The other will be lead core. How many colors of leadcore do you guys run next to the copper. I am using Churches Walleye boards as my boards. I know that the copper will run 50-60 feet deep depending on speed. Or do you guys prefer not to run 4 boards when running copper? I fish a 6 rod spread. Would you guys run down riggers or dipseys on the other 2 lines? Any help is appreciated thanks.

A 10 color lead core is only going to get you around 45 feet deep. Your 300 - 30# copper is going to run 50-60 feet deep. Always run the shallowest setups on the outside and the deeper rigs on the inside. This way you won't get all tangled up if you get a fish on the outside board--it will always be above the deeper rig that is inside.

6 Rods... first light I would run 2 riggers, 2 dipsys, 2 boards (one on each side). When the morning bite subsides then I would pull one dipsy and one rigger and deploy the other long lines. Why not get a few more rod holders and just run 8 the whole time. 4 boards 2 dipseys and 2 riggers.

Unless it was early spring, and my divers where not going my 6 rod spread would be;

2 Riggers

2 Divers

2 Long lines

If your copper is running 50-60' than a 40-50' setup (full core) outside of that would work nice.

Then my program would be;

2 Riggers

2 Coppers

2 Full cores, or 200' coppers.

I keep my coppers completely on one side, and lead on the other. That way I know they are not tangling. Usually it's two or three to a side, but when it's tight sometimes just one.

Chris

I tried mixing lead and copper on the same side, kinda like mixing beer, wine & whiskey. you end up with a big mess in a five gallon bucket.:eek:

so best thing to run next to a 300' copper is a 250' copper

i run 45lb copper

you can run copper and lead core same side, just run the lead core (shallow stuff) outside the deep stuff (copper)

my deepest lead core will be a 6 color, which i feel comfrtable running a 150' copper inside of....

i have a 100' copper which i would not run next to the 6 or 5 color lc, but would run a 4 color lc with confidence,

but dipsies add another demension

on a shallow dispy i will not run out more line out on the counter than my closest board... ie 150' loc on a 300' copper , then max shallow dipsie will run out 125 loc , 3 setting w/ a ring...I'm leary of a surface busting rainbow tangling my nearest inside board, it's amazing how they seem to shoot up SAH-mack dab into the inside board

deep wire dispy w/ standard ring, 1 1/2 setting...i never seem to have any issues a long as i keep my riggers deeper or way shallower

we run a 10 color lead core outside of a 300' copper all the time with no issues but that is all we have for copper at this time is a pair of 300's run 1 on each side. I would start the day with 2 riggers 2 divers and 2 birds in tight first thing in the morning and then mix it up a little according to what is taking the fish sometimes riggers are hot sometimes divers or the long lines

Good Fishing

Troy

I run a 5 color, then a full core, and then my 300ft. 45# Copper on each side with the 5 Color being the farthest from the boat. I also run 2 Dipsies per side. My Low diver is set on 1.5 and my high divers on 3. My most successfull bait the last 3 years has been a Big Weenie Rubber Poofster F/F Combo on the high diver between 225-250 back. My divers are braid and are the 124mm Walker deep divers. Then my two riggers are on the boom. Hope this helps.:thumb:

I'm ditching my full cores this year. A 1/2 copper (150ft of 45#) runs pretty close to the depth of a full lead core.

Therefore if I'm needing to run deep rigs, I'll run my 300's on the outside and 150's on the inside, then 3 riggers and 2 dipseys.

Just a thought, tell me if i'm way off here. Since the dive angle of copper is greater than lead couldn't you technically run any length lead outside of the copper and have no problems? since lead doesn't sink as fast it should swing over just fine even if longer. We consistently ran a core.5 outside of a 300' 45# copper on my friends boat last year with no problems. Perhaps we were just lucky.

Just a thought, tell me if i'm way off here. Since the dive angle of copper is greater than lead couldn't you technically run any length lead outside of the copper and have no problems? since lead doesn't sink as fast it should swing over just fine even if longer. We consistently ran a core.5 outside of a 300' 45# copper on my friends boat last year with no problems. Perhaps we were just lucky.

Yes Jon that is true. Always run the deepest set to the inside then work shallower out from there.

It's not good to mix and match copper and core when they are hodge podge though.

For example; Do not try running a 150' 32# (aprox. 30' down) copper on the outside of a full core (aprox. 40' down). The faster sink rate of the copper will catch the core when returning it to it's spot.

Edited by Nailer

I dont run 30# copper but I do run 300' of 45# copper, and I run 4 riggers, 4 dipseys and 6 long line presentations. I use Church Walleye boards they do just fine with copper and cores. I like to run the Copper inside then a fullcore setup, and on the outside a 5 to 7 color for Steelhead, This works well during the Summer, but in the spring I run more shallow presentations and up to 8 boards 4 dipseys and 4 downriggers. You always should run your presentations in a V deep in the center and shallower as you go out away from the boat. As to tangles with Copper and Core hmmmm why are you turning sharp enough to cross them? Keep your turns wide and dont let your boards get behind your boat. No tangles.

I dont run 30# copper but I do run 300' of 45# copper, and I run 4 riggers, 4 dipseys and 6 long line presentations. I use Church Walleye boards they do just fine with copper and cores. I like to run the Copper inside then a fullcore setup, and on the outside a 5 to 7 color for Steelhead, This works well during the Summer, but in the spring I run more shallow presentations and up to 8 boards 4 dipseys and 4 downriggers. You always should run your presentations in a V deep in the center and shallower as you go out away from the boat. As to tangles with Copper and Core hmmmm why are you turning sharp enough to cross them? Keep your turns wide and dont let your boards get behind your boat. No tangles.

If you are worried about having tangles , spread out your spread horizontally and Like Mike Said don't turn that sharp. I ran 325 30lb copper last year on the inside of 8 color , never came close to tangling. Also make sure the rods your are running are the same type . Other wise the will make the boards run differently.