How much depth with a mag ring?

Fishme00

I just picked up some magnum rigs for dipsy divers and was wondering if anyone had an idea how much they change the depth on a #1 dipsy? I have never run the #3 magnum diver to see how much deeper they are running. I know that they have a larger weight in them than the #1.

If anyone has a rule of thumb to get me started it would be great. Once I have some time i can run some tests with the little fish-hawk depth probe, but wanted to have an idea going into the early fishing season. thanks.

Yes!! He's asking for info on a #1 Dipsy with a mag ring. That set up should run somewhere in between the info from both those charts. With Dipsys it's not rocket science.:) There are charts that can put you close, but there are a lot of variables.

I think using both charts make sense. It has to fall in there somewhere. I was also thinking that running a #1 with a mag ring next to a #1 with a regular ring will help spread things out just a little because of the different angles of attack they will have. The gears of war are turning, and I cant wait to get them in the water. Thanks for the advice guys

Do yourself a favor... Take an hour out of a fishing trip to make your own! Those charts are not even close most of the time.

Get into 30' of water. Let out line until you bump the bottom with the diver. Record the line out, speed, and bait(flasher-fly or spoon). Then go to 40'.... Same thing. 50' of water....same thing. Ect,ect...

This the the only way I have found to know exactly where the divers are. Current and wind will always have some effect...but this method will get you much closer than some generic chart!:thumb:

Do yourself a favor... Take an hour out of a fishing trip to make your own! Those charts are not even close most of the time.

Get into 30' of water. Let out line until you bump the bottom with the diver. Record the line out, speed, and bait(flasher-fly or spoon). Then go to 40'.... Same thing. 50' of water....same thing. Ect,ect...

This the the only way I have found to know exactly where the divers are. Current and wind will always have some effect...but this method will get you much closer than some generic chart!:thumb:

i did something like this with my lite bite slide divers, and it works great for me. what i did was went to 50 feet of water at my most used speed. then let out line on each setting until i was bumping bottom. then i just devided the 50 ft depth by how many 10 ft of line out. that gave me how many ft down for each 10 ft of line out. then you can just go by that. the only one i can remember off the top of my head was the # 4 setting, with 65 lb braid at 2 mph i was diving 2.7 ft for every 10 out. so if i wanted to run 50 ft deep i just let out 185 ft. thats 18.5 x 2.7, thats 49.9 fet deep. and i have the no wrote down on how many fet down per 10 ft out on a 1 setting and a 2 setting and a 3 setting. it only took me about 1/2 hour and a calcalator to get my feet down per 10 ft out. this is the only way i know to really get close. then the most important thing is to just get back the the same place your catching fish.

i guess the reason the #4 sticks out, is its the main one i use. i just put the #4 out to the depth i want then just run the 3 setting 20 ft shorter than the 2 setting 20 ft shorter than the 3 setting and than the 1 setting 20 ft shorter than than the 2 setting. this way i have all 4 divers in the strike zone and can put the outside rods out over the shorter inside rods. if i move my rods to go deeper or shallower i will adjust the whole side.

oh yea i guess your wondering where this guy fishes with 65 lb braid at 2 mph. well the braid is just what i started using with the divers, then i can use any size leader i want, the 2 mph is my normal high speed for walleye in the central basin. if i run alittle slower its not going to change that much. its finding the fish and getting back to that spot that really counts.

sherman

Does anyone think that running a fish hawk TD behind the dipsy to monitor depth is as accurate as running them to bottom? I picked up one last year because I dont have a temp probe on my boat. It monitors temp and depth every 5 feet. So if I want to check just water temps I put it down on the rigger and bring it back up and scroll through the depth/temp data. I used it to determine depth on leadcores with dive bombs attatched with x amount of line out. The unit is alot heavier than a spoon so I wonder if it is giving me deeper depths than I am actually running with lures. I guess the only way to see if it is close is by doing both tests and matching them up. thanks

Knowing exactly where the divers are running is really only important if your targeting the bottom. Salmon will swim up a long ways to hit, or see a bait. I have watched them on the graph rise 30-50' to check out a rigger bait.

The TD device is a good idea, and will confirm what they are running at.

Often when we are done fishing for the day, we will troll toward the peer, and watch when the divers hit the bottom. Often I will say to my son " that one will stat hitting soon", and sure enough it dose.

The 1/2, is very close for a mag diver (set at 1.5), and 1/3 is very close for a regular diver (set at 2.5)

I troll alot on Cayuga Lake and the areas I fish have steep contours all along the shoreline so it is hard to test anything other than 0 or 1 settings. it could be 20ft shallower inside and 20ft deeper outside your path where a 2 or 3 setting is running. Not alot of flat depth until you get 120ft or so...a little deep to test the divers. I will have to try these dispy tests on Ontario this next season.