lead core rods

chubs

I've run both types (leadcore/copper and plannerboard) with boards and not had any problems. I currently had Shimano TDR's, Traverse Bay Tackle, and Okuma GLT copper rods on my boat. I would say that the Shimano's have the most back bone and are the funnest to fight fish on. The Traverse Bay's have the least back bone but are easy for noobies (or 10 year old brothers) to handle.

I use Okuma 7' leadcore rods, bretts place on the bay had a deal on those last year. I personally prefer shorter rods. The longest rods on my boat are 8' and those are my dipsy rods. I have two 8'6" TDRs and wasn't super impressed. I however LOVE ugly sticks. I have 7' downrigger rods and you can load those puppies up. Best thing to do is try different rods until you find the ones you like. Best/Cheapest way to do that is fish with other people.

couple guys on here run the Daiwa wilderness rods. After discussing it with them and their success with them i decided i would try them. They are reg price like 20 bucks and at the shows they are like 15 bucks each. They make a great lead core rod/downrigger rod. I will be purchasing more of these rods in the near future.

For copper you cant beat the okuma coper rods. They are a great rod i have 8 on my boat for my coppers and will stay with those for the money also.