size - count - winter weather - ice cover on lake MI

N II Deep

ok, I've been fishing now for the past 3 years so I don't have much history on how winter weather effect the next fishing season.

Last season we seen the return of bigger fish here in West Michigan and still very good numbers, the previous winter was long, it started early November, stayed cold until March, lots of snow that stayed on the ground. we also saw Ice on Lake Michigan if I recall almost solid all the way across. (I really liked hauling in the bigger fish this past year)

not this

Holland web cam 2-5-2012 @ Noon (this looks like late April, I'm surprised I don't see Kevin trolling the beach today)

netcam.jpg

I would like to hear what our seasoned fishermen think the up comming season will be like and why with our current winter (lack of) conditions.

The bait fish was so plentiful last year causing fish to grow bigger than years past, i think we will see bigger fish again. I mean we seen dead alewife floating on the surface and beach in manistee this year!!!!

I understand the plentiful bait fish - but is that related to winter weather conditions?

jon

I would have to agree with you ,the shorter the winter or off season warmth seams to bring a better year of fishing.

I hope we are right ,I could see my self out there right now .LOL if the boat wasn't in storage.

I'm with you on the wanting to get the boat out. I'm in the process of building a hard top for mine. I'm at a point that I can't do much more until it comes out of storage.

Jon

That sucks for you and me too, I almost thought about pulling the 14 footer out and take a run the PS and work the shore line or the bubblier,but I may wait just a few more weeks and use the time to get ready for the swap meet and finish some more things around the house.

Ya What Dave said.There was only one 28 lb king submitted for the master angler award in 2010 and there was 22 in 2012! My 27 lb king was in the last 5 the biggest was 37.06 lbs with that said i think there will be lots of bait again this year with alwives survivng the winter better,time will tell how the numbers will be with the plants still down.I predict the beachs will have lots of dead alwive on them in june this year. just my 2 cents.

I think that the fish will be bigger this year. If salmon like the colder water in the summer, and the winter hasn't frozen the lake, then they should be active and feeding. I don't think they hibernate at all, so eating more means gaining more.

I don't know..... it sounded good.