Graph/plotter

Rollwithit

No need to keep upgrading usable equipment. I put a new Garmin Color Sonar on my boat 2 years ago. I have an old LMS 350 Lowrance that I still use and sometimes I don't even turn on the color unit. I actually prefer the old unit. I know everyone loves their new toys but I still play with my old ones. I'm old school so I know there will be different opinions.:)

Jason, A warm welcome to the GLF site. Holler if you need any help.

:welcome:

I got the LDS 5 last year and loved it.

I have a fish hawk already though, but I will say that most guys on the water with fish hawks are pretty friendly and will share information if you know what you are asking for.

Ask these three things:

Troll direction.

Fish hawk depth and temp (or temp break depth, which should be the same)

and GPS speed over ground.

Obviously you'll also want to know their total depth, but you may have to ask harder for that, or just start looking around.

Thanks guys

with the new boat I have been researching alot of products. I have had alot of vendors try and steer me towards humminbird but my gut keeps leading back to the lowrance elite HD 5. anyone use hummin bird have input. I like humminbird features but feel it might be overkill for what I am doing on the big lake if I were a serious bass fisherman i feel like humminbird would be the way to go.

I'm upgrading this year. Found a unit at a great price. I think if your have the opportumity to upgrade it's not a bad thing. Sooner or later your equipment gets outdated and a change is needed. As far as brands go, I think it a personal choice. I know lots of guys have had issue with lowerance, but my Dad has been using one for about 7 years still working great with no issues.