Izzy the future photographer

Mushy's Dad

Here is one of the nicest days we had on the water last year. We fished off Sheboygan aprox 10 miles out and we had the whole lake to ourselves. The lake was so calm you could see the wake from the sideplanner boards for a long way back, I dare say 100 yards, but that may be a stretch.

I took my friend Ernie and his daughter Izzy. This was her first salmon fishing trip. Izzy took most of these photos, caught most of the fish, and did a great job with both!

fishing_027.jpg

fishing_033.jpg

fishing_032.jpg

fishing_030.jpg

fishing_029.jpg

fishing_028.jpg

061211_2030_00.jpg

fishing_034.jpg

I am now ready for spring!!! Anyone else???

I can stare at pics of fishing rods bending over all day long.

By the way, do you use the cannon rod holders for dipsey's or just running boards?

I am not a fan of the cannon rod holders. Every time you go to pull the rod the holder came out so I never use them any more. The retaining notch is just not big enough. They were included with the downriggers I bought. And to be perfectly honest, I do not use that set up any more. I felt like I was going to fall out the back of the boat when I would be netting a fish and the rod handles protuded into the floor area too far. I went with a full board across the back. I have that set up posted under boat rigging. I picked up 10 Ram tubes and 3 ram rods for 10 bucks each !! I really love the ram rod holders with the flip open bail, those are sweet. I use those for the spring wallie run. Some day after I get a DX4 I will invest in a set of rod trees and then.......

• 2 months later...
Thanks.....I was about to buy a couple of Cannon's (today) so I could have a few on my boat. Not now !! I do have the RAMs on my boat....thought I needed an 'upgrade'.

I really like the ram tubes for the big pond. The ram rods are better suited for walleye trolling, they leave too much of the rod butt it the boat.

I feel stupid asking this, but that's never stopped me before. In the pic of the three rods on the side of the boat.....how do you keep the lines from getting all tangled? By the bend in the rods I assume they are running with some type of dipsey diver or something with weight on it?

Edited by Nailer

I feel stupid asking this, but that's never stopped me before. In the pic of the three rods on the side of the boat.....how do you keep the lines from getting all tangled? By the bend in the rods I assume they are running with some type of dumpster diver or something with weight on it?

fishing_029.jpg

No stupid questions here, we all learn for each other.

Take a close look at the three rods. The first (left) one is the dipsey diver. The second rod has 2 blue tie wraps on it and the third rod has 5 orange tie wraps on it (just above the foam rod handles). This is my way of coding the rods for lead core colors/lenght.

You should also be able to see the planer boards directly above the corner of the boat. That is the boards for the 2 and 5 colors lead cores. Again look at the slight angle differences (both horizontal and vertical) on the 2 and 5 color rods, this helps keeping the lines apart near the boat. Rod trees do the same basic thing but they dont take up as much room.

One last point. IF your boards are running true and the rods are set to the same basic angle. the boards will line up on a 45 degree angle off the back of the boat. If you let the inside boards line out, the two boards will track right into one another. Watching this angle is a really good way to tell if you are dragging something. garbage, weeds, a bag, a shaker, or the line is tangled.

Hope this helps!